Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

1965 Topps Kookie Plaks

Here is some interesting information for anyone who collects comic type items like the Wacky Plaks, Kookie Plaks etc.
Kookie Plaks
Topps – 1965
The plaks are postcard sized (2 1/2”x4 11/16”)
The images and basic text are the same as what Topps used in the 1959 “Wacky Plaks” set, but the numbering has been changed. Fewer copies were printed, so this set can be considered more collectible.
The artwork is by Jack Davis. He was at one time an employee of Topps and has done work for Time, Playboy, TV Guide, album covers etc., and my all time favorite – Mad Magazine!
What I am showing you here is not the typical “issue” plak which is cardboard but rather a very limited “test” issue Sticker which was at best in very few areas – they are not even sure if it left the company.

Davis as well as other Mad artists did the cover art. And also here is an album cover he did – you can definitely see the style which us old timers are so familiar with from the late 50’s – 60’s.

I have a couple of the stickers which come up from time to time.
thanx for viewing
your friend
Mike

Mike

Comments

• MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting Mike. One of your scans came out as a red X - I can see the AE Newman self portrait and the Wacky Plak - what's the other one? That sticker is really cool - I've never seen them, never even heard of them. It looks to be in great shape. Ever consider sending it in with a '60s bulk submission?

A good friend of mine also collects Mad Magazines; he's down to needing the last couple (Issue #1 is one of them) and he's beginning to collect some original Davis artwork which he displays in frames with the Mad issue that it appeared in opened to the page to show the final publication along with the original artwork.

Wacky Plaks is one of my favorites; I collected them as a kid in '59, along with the You'll Die Lauging set:

Of course, the Wacky Plaks contained the famous "I don't swim in your toilet; please don't pee in my pool" rookie card....image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone!
    Here is another Kookie Plak I had picked up at Topps - these are the stickers and not the cards which are harder to come by.

And just keep economy of posting, here another Woody WP tatoo art - I really like the comic characters - bring back memories from way back when?

Thanx for taking a look
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike