Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

question for Sacagawea collectors

Hello. I am a reporter for the Denver Post writing about the collecting of Sacagawea coins.
I'm hoping people on here can tell me why they collect the coins, how long they've been collecting and whether they're collecting for
themselves or someone else?
How hard is it to find the coins you want? How has ebay affected the market? Are the prices going up or down?
What's the most/least you've paid for one?
Do you also sell them?
Do you think they have any long term value or are you collecting them to have them?
How does the market for these compare to other modern coins, like the susan b. anthonys or state quarters or half dollars?

thanks so much. you can email responses to amulkern@denverpost.com

Anne Mulkern

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Anne. Just a trivial question. What made you pick a 64 Kennedy as your icon?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I'll type up the responses to your questions in an e-mail and send it today.
  • Options
    Sacagawea's are great to hand out as tips at restaurants as most waitresses cannot figure out what they are.
  • Options
    Hopefully the 3 of you out there that actually collect those god awful things will answer the lady's questions...

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna see Russ' answers image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used about 18 of the Sacagewea Dollars to pay for something at Lord & Taylor's and the women behind the counter thought I gave them Euros. They had no idea where to put them in the cash register as there is no tray space for them. It was comical.

I only collect them when they come in my annual proof set that I buy from the mint. Otherwise I don't care for them much one way or the other.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I have many ms examples bought from supercoin in original rolls. Most of the end coins are NT a wierd kinda purple, so it makes them worth saving. Other than that I have a set of proofs in the registry, which i started for my newphew...along with killer jefferson collections( 5 and counting )

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one in my type set, a 2000-S proof coin, that I paid $5.00 for. It was very easy to find at a coin show, although they are readily available on ebay, I picked it up at the show as a convenience which also helped avoid a shipping fee. I also have a couple examples of the 2000-P and D coins that I saved from circulation. I received them in change from the stamp machine at the post office.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PriestPriest Posts: 270 ✭✭
    I have a few, in high grade condition, but I also have 2 from a Coin Star promotion whereas the coins were given out by mail, proof of purchase of services and what ever else by Coin Star. It was worth the 8% of a small Coin Star transaction.
    D.A. Priest
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Anne,

> Hopefully the 3 of you out there that actually collect those god awful things will answer the lady's questions...
    Ignore most of these jokers. image

You may want to check HERE for serious Sac collectors. Many have their email address attached to their set.

I've collected them since they were minted. The first year I bought a $1000 box of them from my bank. Saved a few rolls but
    spent most of them. When the U.S. Mint stopped shipping rolls of them to banks I started buying the rolls from the Mint. Since
    then I've started collecting them slabbed by PCGS.

I probably started collecting modern dollars for the same reason many kids collect coins (whatever those reasons are). I liked the
    big Ike dollars that I saw when I was a kid. In junior high I started hoarding Susan B Anthony dollars from our lunch lady who
    always had one in her register. I continued my love of modern dollars when the Susies were again minted in 1999 and when the
    Sacs were produced.

The most I've spent is between $125-$150 for:
    2000D in MS68
    2001D in MS67
    2003D in MS67
    2004D in MS68

The least is either $1 from my bank or $25 for a 2004P in MS67.

Ebay has helped and is where I usually buy them, although sometimes I get them here or through dealers I've bought from before.
    I don't think I've sold any yet although I do have duplicates and if they went up in value substantially I would sell them. The
    market seems similar to other modern coins. Moderns that are no longer produced (SBAs, Ikes) have a more stable price
    structure though. With a coin that is still produced, prices fluctuate, sometime wildly, as people determine how common or rare
    a particular coin is going to be in a given grade. Eventually as populations of each coin in each grade become more stable, so does
    the price.

Hope that helps.

-Keith
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭
    The early Sac dollar competition was hot and heavy. I know the first Goodacre Sac that was slabbed as PCGS MS69 sold for 4000. There were several multi thousand dollar coins at that time including PCGS MS68 Milleniums set Sacs. Now, a PCGS MS69 SAC in the most common date, to date image, can be had for around 600 dollars. MS69 Goodacres are still multi thousand dollar coins. MS68 Goodacres are around 500 dollars, and a couple other dates are over 100 dollars in MS68. I only have a single MS68 2003 P Sac for a type coin these days. An ultra high grade Sac is a very attractive coin. I've even seen a couple with nice color.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file