Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Heritage News!!

I was doing a search and came up with one hit on 2005 heritage. It seems like topps is once again trying to
cash in on the heritage craze. Of course a few month ago they used it quite unsucessfully on their Star
Wars Heritage product, now beckett is asking their collectors if they would like a heritage update set!

Right now the poll is in favor of a set...of course you have to wonder who is voting and how many of them
put together this set every year. This just opens the door for another topps blunder. They have done
well, but the more they put out the more it will be watered down. Lets hope they nix this one.

What does everyone here think? Do we need updated rookies and possibly stars? I thought this years
heritage had quite a bit of good rookies in it!

Thanks
Kevin

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    helionaut beat you to it.. link
    ·p_A·
  • helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I think they should do it if it's warranted. Back in 2001, I Photoshopped Pujols, Ichiro, and Prior Heritage update cards, and they were pretty sweet, if I do say so. I've lost those files, though. But even as big a hit as the first Heritage was, I don't know if it warranted an update then.

If there are a lot of significant trades and free agent shifts that they don't get into the main set, or if there are a lot of good rookies, then I'd be in favor of it. For example, this year there weren't many real breakthrough rookies that actually played in the majors, and that's what I think should be included in the update. Bowman Heritage will cover the minor league prospects, though I would've liked to see Ryan Howard, Jason Bartlet, Kaz Matsui, and Joey Gathright Topps Heritages, not to mention new unis on A-Rod, Beltran, etc. I am not sure there was enough going on to put out another 132 cards or whatever, but who am I kidding, I would've bought it. Actually, I'd be in favor of a 3 to 5 series set with about 96 cards per series, just like the good old days. That would keep up with changes without the need for an explicit update set, and it would surely bring people back to ripping packs.

Next year there will be the Montreal/Washington players to update, unless they do a lot of Photoshopping on their own, so maybe it'll be worth it.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

• I like the series idea, that would add a little fun to it for me. But no way would I buy a factory update set. What fun is that?

Chris
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Heritage issue date misses a few rookies, I personally can live with it. My favorite modern rookies are the auto/limited cards anyway. So, the update set would not get me excited - in set form...definitely not. There's too much already. I will be looking forward to the 2005 Heritage but I am really looking forward to 2006 with the 57 design!

Anybody going to preorder Hobby or just wait for the retail? Here's hoping that the retail boxes are still loaded with SP's! Let the "hunt for Heritage" begin! You guys are great!

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    It would be interesting to see what topps would do if they did agree to this...if they would do a box
    set or packs..of course an update set with packs that pull 1:2 is another headache, one which Im not
    going to suffer through, I guess a box set would be the lesser of two evils. Again I think anything that
    they put out would force hardcore heritage set builders to buy them...I guess its time to see what topps
    thinks of us.

I send an email to Clay and Art at topps...of course no response yet, but I will let you know if I get something.
    I hope they tell us BEFORE the regular heritage hits if they are going to do an update set so I can save my
    money and sell all my sets.

Id like to think that the retail boxes will be loaded this year but how about some autographs too?

JS