Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Speaking of AU58 Coins. Here is another question.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone ever seen a totally Mint State coin that got down graded to AU58 just because of dark, splotchy or just plain lousy eye appeal ? If so did you agree with what the TPG thought the market would think of the coin ?

Ken

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would go to MS60ish... most people will agree that an AU58 is a nicer looking coin than an MS60... I know I'd rather have the AU58 (and might even pay more! image)
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw an AU58 1916-D Mercury dime at a show that looked better than an MS63 I had seen earlier at the same show. The dealer with the AU58 was asking more money than the dealer with the 63. I could not see any rub on the coin, and the dealer felt it was undergraded. The AU58 coins do indeed in some cases sell for more coins grading higher. I have sent in a few mercury dimes that I though were MS only to come back with AU58 (one was a 1925). So, I don't know if splotchy does it, but I think some coins get a bad rap in AU 58 holders.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    I had a couple of ugly toned AU-58 Morgans come back MS-62/3 after they were dipped. The "rub" was on the toning, not the coin. At 8 seconds a coin, graders can't be perfect.
    morgannut2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file