Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found an interesting quarter planchet today

While sorting through some "junk coin" at work today I found a very interesting(or maybe not) quarter planchet. I've found penny planchets before(with and without rim), and I thought I'd found quarter planchets before as well. But not one like this. Usually the edges are smooth, but not this one. Maybe I'm confused (I know that I'm not real sure about terminology), but what I have is a piece of copper the same size and thickness of a quarter with what I believe is refered to as "reeded edging". Hopefully this description has the correct terminology.
Is this a legit mint error? A common error? Worth anything?
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    That's a good find as most quarter planchets do not have the reeded edge on them. This could make it more valuable. I had one that was clad with no plating or reeding but those are more common.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to imagine how it got reeding if it wasn't struck by the dies. I'd have
    to guess that it's an altered coin though it could be an altered planchet.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    It is a slug made to cheat vending machines, toll booths, etc. It was not made at the US Mint. More likely at a local machine shop. I'm not sure why they go to the trouble of reeding them though.
  • Options
    gargoyle62gargoyle62 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Man, you guys are fast. I figured that it had to be some kinda fake, 'cause if it were real and worth something I wouldn't have found it. I'm hanging on to it anyways. Thanks for the input.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file