Home Sports Talk

GaTech #4?

College Basketball talk here...

How is GT ranked #4? They lose to UConn in the finals last year - that puts them at #2. UConn loses its best players so they should drop down - GT only loses 1 starter and 1 bench player. I may be wrong, but I believe they have the most returning players of any other ranked team. The Illinois (Chi.) win wasn't too impressive, but that's a team that plays tough at home, and all their other wins blowouts. This team won't get tested until New Year's when they play at Kansas (although at Gonzaga may be close on 12/19), but they deserve to be #1 until they lose IMO.

Brian

Comments

• Brian,

They lost to UCONN in the finals, but they weren't the second best team last year. So they don't start at #2. UConn didn't start at #1 either.

In any case, early rankings are pretty irrelevant. It is where you end up that counts.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Brian,

They lost to UCONN in the finals, but they weren't the second best team last year. So they don't start at #2. UConn didn't start at #1 either.

In any case, early rankings are pretty irrelevant. It is where you end up that counts.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Georgia Tech won by over 30 points tonight against Michigan. Completely dominated the game, damn they look good !! Their full court press defense was suffocating for Michigan. The ACC is absolutely loaded this year.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Rob, I was just trying to stir up some basketball talk - I agree rankings don't mean a whole lot now. I believe GT should have been #2 after last year, although a strong case could have been made for Duke as they played UConn better and beat GT 2/3, but GT went farther in the tourney. However, both Duke and UConn lost key players so I feel that GT should be #1 as they lost very few personnel. My angle is the same players are on GT, Wake and Kansas. Last season GT was better than these teams so how can they be ranked higher? I was under the impression you have to earn rankings.

GT won't blow out opponents this year unlike most other ranked ACC teams. The reason is that the team is all seniors with the exception of Jack who's a junior. Hewitt lets the freshman play when GT is up big. Tech went up 18-0 against Alabama St, 24-2 against Little Rock and 30-9 against Michigan - GT could have beaten these teams easily by 40+ if they wanted to. GT will have a good bench when it comes time to play real opponents as they are playing everyone in easy games.

Jay, the ACC is awesome - clearly the best conference in the country!

Brian

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ACC may be the best conference from top to bottom... but there is a place called Weberville and Wake Forest found out that Assembly Hall in Champaign is not a fun place to visit...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I never understood why Wake was rated # 1 to being with. Two good guards are not reason enough to have a team ranked # 1. Illinois looks like they are going to be very tough to beat.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.