Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Now At The Tough Point Of My 71 Topps Set

Well, I am approaching 50% on my 71 Topps baseball PSA 7 or better set. I am also, finally, just one card away in having a complete set (part graded, part raw) with the elusive card being 731 Jim Qualls. This card has been a real beast to find.

In any event, what I have left to add to my PSA set are predominately low number commons. I have almost completed the high series and have PSA 7 or better examples of just about all of the stars including the tough keys (i.e., Rose, Munson). I have many cards that are itching to be graded for my set.

This is where I think it will get really slow going considering I am really no longer a candidate to buy any big graded lots on eBay (too many duplicates) and I am patiently waiting for a good special that will fit financially with respect to low number 71 commons. I would like to see a no minimum long term special that would fit my set at $5.00 a card. This would allow me to send in groups of about 20 cards or more every so often. It is tough to scrape together $300.00 plus bucks for the 50 card minimum to get the $6.00 per card bulk grading discount and, for low number commons, it is a little tough for me to swallow paying $6.00 a pop for many cards that will grade just a 7 (my minimum threshold). I may however have to end up doing that because I want to finish this set in the next three years. However, that may still be tough for me because I would need to add over 120 graded cards per year.

I would be interested in hearing thoughts and stories from others on their set trial and tribulations. I guess the could thing is is that I can remain a hunter and gatherer on this set a good while longer!

Matt

Complete PSA 7 or better 71 Topps set to arrive in 2008!

Comments

• Matt,
    First of all, congratulations on being persistent and patient on a monster of a set in PSA 7 or better. You have all the foundation in place to challenge yourself to complete this.
    Don't get hung up waiting for the special, although that will eventually present an opportunity for you.. Continue to be patient on some of those low number commons and pick them off cheaply if you can brick by brick off ebay. I also would not exclude the large lots even though you are at 50%. A short term outlay (even if you've got to go to plastic) to win a large lot at a reasonable level will still yield cards for your set. Flipping the rest quickly is the key, and with this set it shouldn't be too much of a problem to do that.
    A 7 or better set if your choosy about the condition can be a sight to behold and be more than just respectable as a whole. It's pretty damn nice! Keep at it!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Congrats Matt! 50% on a TOUGH set is a great accomplishment. Keep the faith, you'll get it done. It may be at a little slower pace than you've been used to up to this point, but it will happen.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Hi Matt,

I'll check around and see what condition my Jim Qualls are in I should have at least two maybe three of them. I also have a handful of 71 PSA 7's around the house, I'll PM you what I have if there's any interest.

Thanks,

Scott J.

• MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Scott, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Matt
  • Matt,

I agree with Ray -- don't give up on buying large lots just because you have reached 50%. Personally, I have continued to buy large lots throughout my 1971 Topps set adventure as late as about 85% completion. Like Ray said, the key is turning the duplicates around quickly on Ebay. This has been what I have done and, overall, I have even made a small profit doing this. For example, I picked up a lot with about 70 cards having about 15 cards that I needed. I paid about $4.50 per card for the lot and was able to sell the duplicates for about $5 per card. That's about a $28 profit which allowed me to buy 4 or 5 additional cards that I need.

Keep working on the set and you will eventually get there. I just reach 99% today and it has taken me about 3 years to get this far. Good luck with the completion of your set!

Mike
  • I can confirm that Mike is at 99% because he has beaten me out on some cards recentlyimage
    It's okay though. I'm about 20 cards short myself and have held off from upgrading 7's to 8's until I comlete the set. If anyone has any dupes, check my set under Fabfrank. My current needs are: 37,54,79,92,133,274,287,363,382,390,536,592,596,635,671,697,700,722,731 in either PSA 7 or 8 HELP!image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Hey Frank,

Mark #92 Fred Wenz off your list! I know you have it because you just outbid me for it imageimage I don't know about you, but I just find it hard to justify paying any more than $20-$25 for a PSA 7. Generally, that is about my limit. Good luck in completing your set.

Mike
  • Mark #92 Fred Wenz off your list! I know you have it because you just outbid me for it
    Sorry Mike, forgot about that oneimage
    When it comes down to the last few cards in a set, you'll find yourself "adjusting" your price barriers. My main adjustment is to stop trying to upgrade and just complete the set. Good luck to you too.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion