Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone ever heard of a 1937-D DDO Buffalo?

BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
I found one yesterday with really strong doubling on the date and on the portrait of the indian. CONECA does not list one. Perhaps the Tree will become famous because of thisimage What do you think?----------------------BigE
I'm glad I am a Tree

Comments

• Options
    There was one listed in the CONECA Double Die Master Listing (1994), 1937-D DDO 1-O-III. All it says is doubling eveident on LIBERTY. Markers: not known, reported by: not known.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Thanks pharmer, I sent it to anacs along with the extra attribution fee. There is mention of weak doubling on some 37-D's but this one is strong--------------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I don't have a picture of an actual 37-D DDO but I have pics of a strong double struck coin.

• Options
    Thats it! Thats the one, is it rare?-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Thats it! Thats the one, is it rare?-------BigE >>

Big E,

For the life of me, I can't find the picture of the real 37-D DDO. Unfortunately, this one isn't it. I found a source that says that machine doubling for this date is pretty common. Here's a picture the site provided as a good example of machine doubling for this date.

I wish that I could find the image of an actual DDO. The doubling was quite a bit different than my coin. The site I found that referenced the actual DDO said it is quite rare and the doubling is pretty strong.

Sorry, I should have bookmarked it.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 37 sure looks like machine doubling. Be careful before sending coins in th ANACS for attribution. First call them to see if they will recognize the variety. I sent in a 94P Lincoln doubled reverse-"wavy steps". I thought this variety was known as it was attributed by coppercoins and on his site, Its also on Ken Potter's site. But I got the coin back, slabbed, without any designation, just a note saying that ANACS does not recognize the variety---??? WHAT????? By the way, they did keep my extra attribution fee.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I will try to get a pic of mine up when it comes back. I appreciate the info-------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1995 I saw an ad from Joe Hollinsworth for this same coin. It was an unknown variety for me at that time. When I received it, I thought it was more of a shelf-doubling than a DDO. I'll be curious what happens to your coin, BigE, when you get it back from ANACS, as the pictures of that 37 DDO look exactly like the one in my collection.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file