Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1805 - Napoleon and Francis I meet after Austerlitz

In 1805 Napoleon crushed the combined Austrian and Russian armies at Austerlitz. It was arguably his most brilliant battle, taking advantage of the weather, the terrain and most importantly his opponents over confidence. This medal commemorates the rather humiliating meeting between Napoleon and Francis I of Austria at Urschutz shortly after the battle. His Russian allies were beating a hasty retreat for the borders and Francis was left to beg for his country.

This is the rare early version of the medal. The Droz obverse distinguished by its beaded circle and the date of 1806 (!) on the exergue didn't last very long in production. It was used for about 5 different medals but only the first hundred or so of each were struck before the dies cracked spectacularly. When they replaced the obverse it was the more familiar Andrieu engraving that dominated the Empire strikes.

I've been on the battlefield at Austerlitz in eastern Bohemia. It's very similar to what it was nearly 200 years ago; not withstanding the Russian (probably Czech now) radar station on one part of the site. Those who have stood on a battlefield know what I mean when I say that it was a sobering experience to stand on ground fought for by such men. I've had the same experience at Gettysburg.
Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful medal Elverno!

Are there more medals commemorating his defeats or his victories?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    SWEET! Excellent imaging job on this one too!!
  • Options

<< <i>Are there more medals commemorating his defeats or his victories? >>

Good question! Of course if you collect British medals you'll see more of his defeats than with French... but the fact is there's such a wealth of material, at least 3,300 contemporary medals by all the contestants, that you can get anything you want. I'm particularly fascinated by the social and political medals but you simply can't escape that he was one of the most successful generals of all time. If you've read extensively about Waterloo you see why Wellington called it a "close run thing". There were about two or three other battles that he probably lost (Friedland, Aspern-Essling and Borodino come to mind) but in each case his opponents retreated rather than take their chances the next day. Of course he clearly lost Leipsig and many of the final battles of 1814 were toss-ups.

<< <i>SWEET! Excellent imaging job on this one too!! >>

Thanks! Though you guys make it hard to match your skills. Good thing digital cameras take lots of cheap pictures... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Gorgeous medal!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    FAN-TASTIC!
  • Options
    Great medal and a history lesson, what a great thread, thanks for posting.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    Vern - That is a great medal - and great image - you and cosmic and cacheman are setting the bar up very high.
    Shep
  • Options
    Very, Very Nice!!!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Vern - That is a great medal - and great image - you and cosmic and cacheman are setting the bar up very high.
    Shep >>

+1 image
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Very, very image
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Truly outstanding, Elverno!!! That's a gorgeous example of a very rare type!!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    I have always been a lover of the Napoleonic Era and I continue to pick up coins from 1796-1815, I guess now I will have to add some of those medals to my holdings. GREAT PICS!
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave