Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Will PSA continue the $5 special?

I hope so - I still have quite a few cards I was hoping to get in, but ran out of time. I vote - extension through Dec 31.

Comments

• i'm still waiting for a near future vintage common $5 special (or cheaper) got a stack of T cards i need graded. image
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Seriously... vintage commons are what I need graded too... but for an average collector like myself and many others on here, trying to figure out how and when to send cards to PSA requires advanced planning. It's absurd that they differentiate commons by year like that when the cost involved in grading them is the same from year to year. I can understand a premium for cards which are of higher value, but for commons, it's a pain in the butt. And the idea of having to accumulate 50 vintage commons before I can send them in for the $6 rate is also absurd. I think they need to scrap the turn around time guarantees for commons and give a general time frame, like up to 60 days, and allow submissions of all sizes of cards together, not on seperate orders like for oversized and coins/pins. It would make it a heck of a lot easier for a lot of people, and the shipping costs saved would be tremendous. And it should be a flat rate of $5 or $6 a card for these cards. And if someone wants a quicker guarantee turn-around, they can simply use a higher level of service. I think someone mentioned that GAI started doing something along these lines.

• Yes an extension would be great. My final 2 checks( laid off) which are normaly direct depo but At&T decided to mail are lost.

James
    x
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously... vintage commons are what I need graded too... but for an average collector like myself and many others on here, trying to figure out how and when to send cards to PSA requires advanced planning. It's absurd that they differentiate commons by year like that when the cost involved in grading them is the same from year to year. >>

Hear hear!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • I need a modern common special (1985-present) for the registry.

However, I still dig this $5 Nov special and hope they extend this
    to the end of the year.......their Christmas gift to us??
    PLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I need a modern "it's a 10 or it's free" special. Screw this $5 dollars per card stuff. image

Or how about deducting half the fee for all cards rejected for trimming. They could promote it as their "BGS crossover special".
  • I still think it is BS that PSA can't handle different catagories for single orders. If I have a pre-72 card, a post 72 card, a card that needs reholdered, and a card worth $500, it is insane that they require me to send in 4 seperate orders and pay for registrered mail on 4 individual packages both to them AND back to me. This is where PSA really screws the little guy, and is an opportunity for other grading companies to get an edge. This happened to me when I went to turn some in at a card show.
    A single PSA/DNA auto cost me $31.50 in fees, since they can't combine catagories. I scrapped the $5 "special" because I only had a couple cards, so the $5 special ends up costing over $10 per card, which is damn close to the standard charge if submitting with other "regular" cards. This really gets me irritated. Why does PSA charge more to grade a 53 topps bulk lot, than a 54 bulk lot? Why is a 59 more than a 60? Why is the special 72 and newer, why not 60 and newer because 1960-present bulk is the same regular price?! Its overly complicated, and a retarded business model if you ask me.

JERO
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    The good news is that the last time this special was offered, they did indeed extent it an extra month. They will probably look over the financials to see what is feasible. We all know that this is one of PSA's most popular specials, but where the financials land or are headed is what will determine if it 's a go for December.

Just in case, I have a 100 card 84D submission that will get the November 30 postmark. Nothing like waiting till the last minute!

Wish me luck on the results.

BOTR
  • We will be extending the $5.00 Modern Special to the end of the year.

JERO:

1. You can send multiple orders to PSA - we only require that each service level be on its own form with its own shipping for return.
    2. Reholders are the same service level so the pre 1972 and post 1972 do not need to be on a separate form.

I'll forward your other displeasures on to the appropriate people.

If you have questions in the future regarding what needs to be on separate invoices, etc. please feel free to contact customer service directly at 800-325-1121

Carol
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    You gotta love Carol 'The Good Girl'.

I just wonder about her banging her head on the keyboard all the time. Hope it's not contagious........

BOTR

Carol, that's awesome!!!!
    Thank you.
  • Thanks for the info Carol! Could you please forward this entire thread? I also am waiting for a vintage common special have over 200 for submission image

-Teddy
  • Wow, a good reply from Carol!! Thanks for forwarding my irrateness on to the powers that be. If your sending the entire post, here is another suggestion. Maybe have a option where you can send multiple levels in one submission and you just add the turnaround times for the entire package. For example, If I have a some newer cards and some vintage simply do the vintage, then pass the order along to the newer graders, then ship out all at once. You can add up the guaranteed turnaround time, or simply drop the guaranteed option. I would be willing to wait another couple weeks to save 15 bucks on shipping. Am I the only one that hates paying for all this shipping?

Also an online ordering form is waaaay overdue, this will solve (maybe) my other tirade about waiting behind people at card shows with hundreds of cards filling out the pages one line at a time. I was at the last chicago show and PSA really needs to have more table space. It was a madhouse trying to turn an order in.

I promise that is all my gripes!!

Thanks again for your reply carol, the horseshoe is out of my colon now.

JERO
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    All right, here is my two cents:

My wish list would be that PSA include in the $5.00 special 1971 or later (the year I am working on). I am almost half way finished on this set and mainly need low numbered commons graded. A $5.00 special for these cards, with no minimum, would be wonderful for a guy like me with a limited collector's budget. Perhaps that could be a special in and of itself: have a set registered at lets say, 25% complete or more, and grade further cards from that same set for $5.00.

Until then, this boy will continue to dream. image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Carol - Thank You!

You were just the person I was hoping would see this thread - and this is indeed great news! image

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Do you think I'm happy?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Carol great news! I am a cheap and love to save money. Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

James
    x
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Carol..

(I think I may be a contributing factor to the "head-banging-on-keyboard" icon)

i just spent several hours packaging up an order to get the "Nov. 30" postmark as well.. heh.. i'm gonna go ahead and send it off, and start getting another one ready.. (it will probably be postmarked 12/31.. lol)
    ·p_A·
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    last and first time i had cards actually GRADED was when SGC had there 4 dollar per card grading special for modern and 6 dollar per card vintage.........got some GREAT GRADES on some great cards......i wont pay more then 6 per vintage....hence im building up my stacks of raw vintage

loth
  • Lothar- Last time I usd SGC was on a bulk modern submission of 300 cards. $4 per card, with $2 pre-screen. The card only got encapsulated if it met an SGC 96 (PSA 9). Great deal and all the cards went straight into my collection. Suprisingly about 30 cards did not meet the SGC 96 minimum.
    I still submit more to PSA due to the registry, but there are many cards I collect that I'm more than happy with the SGC service/deal.
    Frank - you sent in 300 cards, and got 270 "9's"? You must have a great eye, or -

This is why I don't care for this type of "prescreening" and grading (GAI does it too). As I understand it, SGC charged you $2 a card, and then charged you the additional $4 only if they encapsulated it? Given that scenario, why wouldn't they encapsulate the vast majority of the cards, and make more profit? It seems like these sort of gimmicks hurt the overall reputation of the particular grading company. Just my opinion.
  • ctsoxfan- I do have a very good eye, but I'm also realistic and very objective in my assessment of the cards I submit. I also got quite a few SGC 98's, but remember these are modern cards. The cards were mostly 98-00 Fleer, Upper Deck, Ultra and SP Authentic Football, so it's not too hard to get top grades. It's not agimmick but a good service. Matter of fact, the cards were returned in their cardsavers with the grade they would have gotten (mostly 92's and 88's) written on the cardsaver.
    The charges were $2 for the pre-screen and $4 for the encapsulation. The $4 was not on top of the pre-screen fee. Whether its $2 or $4, thats still a good deal.
    I heard GAI had a similar service, but have never used them and probably never will. Why? Because I'm comfortable with PSA and SGC's service. I'm just not beholdened to one grading company over another.
    You are right - it is a good deal pricewise either way. Also, it makes a bit more sense knowing that you submitted modern cards. Thanks for explaining that - and, I have heard from other collectors about good service from SGC. Like yourself however, I am submitting primarily for the PSA Registry.