Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pre 1948 Rookie Cards

I was looking through my Beckett baseball and noticed that the 1939 Play Ball Ted Williams card does not carry the RC designation. Now, Teddy Ballgame's rookie year is 1939, so why wouldn't this be his rookie card? After asking around, it seems as if no cards printed before the 1948 Bowman set are considered rookie cards.

My question to all of you is why are no cards made before 1948 considered rookie cards? Is it because before Bowman no single company consistently produced cards? Or is it something else?

Thanks guys,

Will

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I'm surprised Beckett knows there ARE any rookies before 1985 or so.
  • Options
    as there really is no scarcity in modern cards(post ww2) the "rookie card" put a higher value on the first card made of post ww2 players. collectors began collecting "rookie cards" as the bb card hobby took off in the late 70's early 80's.putting a premium on that 1st issue. pre ww2 cards do have scarce or very rare cards where less than 50 exist of many,many cards.so collectors are always chasing those elusive issues,when they come up for sale. null this link will help you with 1st cards of hall of fame players
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beckett? What's that? image

Shane

• Options
    Thanks, denwd1. That link is quite helpful.