Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Email Impersonating eBay

On 11/26 I got an E-mail which appears to be from eBay that says my account was suspended but I still can get onto my account. I forwarded this E-mail to spoof@ebay.com. Have any of you had this problem?

Comments

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about it. It is someone trying to hijack your account. It probably asks you to click on the link somewhere in the email which will in turn allow the email sender to access your ebay account. Simply delete the email and ignore it. I get them all the time. Remember, Ebay will never ask you to click on their link in an email. They always ask that you go to their web site through the internet.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I get at least one of those every 2 or 3 months. It's amazing how accurate they can be. I recently sold something on eBay after a period of about 15 months without selling anything. In that time, the credit card I had associated with my ebay account had expired. Immediately after my sale, I got emails saying that my account was suspended because my credit card was no good. Turned out that this was also a spoof, but it was uncanny how "real" everything seemed.

Just today, for the first time, I got an email which appeared to be from PayPal saying that another email address had been added to my PayPal account. I logged into PayPal from www.paypal.com and saw that no other email addresses were present.

THE KEY THING IS TO NEVER CLICK ON A LINK DIRECTLY FROM AN EMAIL AND GIVE ANY PERSONAL INFO (PASSWORDS, CREDIT CARDS, ETC). ONLY DO THIS DIRECTLY FROM THE WEBSITE (www.paypal.com, www.ebay.com, etc).

I have no idea if ebay ever does anything to catch these spoofers. Anyone know?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i get multiple ones, every single day.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I have no idea if ebay ever does anything to catch these spoofers. Anyone know? >>>

These "phishing" e-mails are mostly done by organized crime located in foreign countries with lackadaisical legal systems. Ebay can't do anything about it.
  • Options
    The above posts are correct. I get multiple spoof emails as well. paypal account issues, ebay issues, etc... A new one i got recently is people sending "second chance offers" but didn't list the card. When i was hunting the 52 mantle, i got multiple offers for the same card all from different emails. so in addition to always checking your account status through the main page ONLY, also NEVER EVER accept a second chance offer, unless you verify the offer through the original ending ebay page "contact seller link".

JERO
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The above posts are correct. I get multiple spoof emails as well. paypal account issues, ebay issues, etc... A new one i got recently is people sending "second chance offers" but didn't list the card. When i was hunting the 52 mantle, i got multiple offers for the same card all from different emails. so in addition to always checking your account status through the main page ONLY, also NEVER EVER accept a second chance offer, unless you verify the offer through the original ending ebay page "contact seller link".

JERO >>

likewise.. i've recently been 2nd high bidder on a couple of expensive auctions, and i received a "2nd chance offer" from somebody.. i just reply and let them know i'm not an idiot, and they're not good scammers either..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I get one about every 2 weeks on average. They usually say something like, "Your account has been suspended because you or someone pretending to be you has been making fake bids on eBay."

What does this mean fake bids? I doubt eBay would ever use termanology like that. You would think since these guys are going to all the trouble to send out all these e-mails that they would come up with something better than that.

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    I just made the mistake of replying to one of those spoof emails. Once I realized my mistake, I changed my password. Anything else I need to do to protect my account? Any info would be deeply appreciated.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Yikes! You were very wise to change your password. Since u were able to that your probably OK. Here's a link to what eBay says to do for someone in your situation.

What to do if you replied to a spoof email
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    Thanks, went to the link. I'm going to monitor my account very closely for the next few weeks
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options

I used to get just ebay spoof mail. Now, I get both ebay and Paypal spoof mail (a lot) in the email address that is register on ebay. Yahoo would always put them in the bulk/junk folder.

Almost a year since I opened a Personal Paypal account and so far haven't receive a spoof mail. The is email address is different from my ebay's email address. makes me think that there's a security flaw on ebay's side.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    I have gotten 3 this week saying that my account would be suspended if i did not verify info...got some from paypal too.
  • Options
    i have been recieving spoof emails from banks and credit cards,so be aware of these also! they say there has been suspicious activity with your account. of course they also provide a link for you to go to,to ask vital info.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I get them constantly. This info may already be in the links that a few folks have provided - but a couple of things to watch for.

A legit ebay site address will always contain dot ebay dot com. as in whateverwhatever.Ebay.com.

In any legit communication from Paypal, you will be addressed by your name, as opposed to "Dear Paypal user" or "Dear Ebay member."

Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I've also started getting fake ebay "question" emails. If you click on the "Respond" button, you'll go to a fake ebay site. These look authentic as well, but you can tell the fake ones because they are addressed to a bogus name and if you put your mouse pointer on the respond button the address will display as a non-ebay domain name, lower left corner if you're using Outlook.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    One time I received an email in my paypal business account email, that I seldom use nowadays, that I got cash for $200+ and included the ebay item#. Ask me to login to make sure that the transaction is correct. Of course I did not click and login to that link. I went to ebay and check the item# and found it legit (still up for auction) but different item was on that auction. I login directly to paypal website to see if somebody hacked my account since I haven't use it in a while but no activity in my paypal acct.

I think it's good to use a different/separate paypal email address from ebay and also not linking email address use on ebay into paypal account. That's what I did in my personal account and so far no spoof mail in my PP personal account email.
    RIP Snow
  • Options
    Ebay is making an inbox on your my E-bay page where they will send all emails to you instead of your regular e-mail. I don't know when it will be done but it's in the works. That should end a lot of illegal e-mails, If they can get the message to everybody that should solve the problem completely. image
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!