Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i say put him in..

link
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darryle belongs in the shoulda, coulda, woulda Hall of Fame. What a waste of talent.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, he dosn't deserve in. What about canseco? First 40/40 man, great player at his peak and over a nice span of his career. If we are gonna talk about HOF nominees, please talk about Roger Maris.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Strawberry and Gooden are two examples of "can't miss" players who pissed their careers away.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I think you mean snorted their careers away.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Seriously, is he on the ballot? If he is, WHY is he. I thought being banned for drug use meant a lifetime ban like Rose is for gambling. Please don't make this into a Rose "should he or shouldn't he" thread. I just want to know if being banned for drug use is the same as being banned for gambling. If Strawberry is on the ballot, how about the "Coke" man himself.....Steve Howe.
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously? Yep

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seriously, is he on the ballot? If he is, WHY is he. I thought being banned for drug use meant a lifetime ban like Rose is for gambling. Please don't make this into a Rose "should he or shouldn't he" thread. I just want to know if being banned for drug use is the same as being banned for gambling. If Strawberry is on the ballot, how about the "Coke" man himself.....Steve Howe. >>

i dont think Strawberry is banned from baseball.. doesnt/didnt he have some kinda coaching job with the Yanks?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, he dosn't deserve in. What about canseco? First 40/40 man, great player at his peak and over a nice span of his career. If we are gonna talk about HOF nominees, please talk about Roger Maris. >>

Canseco should at least be on the ballot. First 40/40 man, ROY, World Series, etc. Also closer to 500 HR than anyone but Dave Kingman, I believe.
  • Options
    Canseco's last year was in 2001. He has two more years before he is HOF eligible.
  • Options
    There are more guys closer to 500 then Kingman and Canseco, if you were talking about not in the HOF then I think you're right. Only other guys above them are in the HOF or still active, not positive on this though. Mcgriff is less then 10 away from 500, it will be interesting to see if he gets in.

As for Canseco, I think he will get a lot of consideration, first 40/40 man, MVP, ROY, WS title. I don't think he will get in on the first few ballots though. Ripken, Mcgwire, and Gwynn all retired after 2001 and are all first ballot HOFs. Canseco may get in somewhere down the road but it will be tough if he doesn't make it the second year he is eligible since his stats won't be that great compared to a lot of guys still playing. By the time Canseco is allowed to be voted in I think there will be another 5 members of the 500 HR club.

I think a good indication this year will be to see what happens with Ryne Sandberg. I thought he would have made it on the first ballot, but it didn't work out. Best 2b in his era, MVP winner, plus a great fielding 2b as well. If Sandberg doesn't get in this year then I really doubt Canseco will ever make it. I'd also like to see Lee Smith make it in since he was a very solid closer for many years and has the record for career saves., which will most likely be broken by Hoffman or Rivera, if not both.

As for Strawberry, I really don't see any possible way he could get voted in. He does deserve to be on the ballot though, there are tons of guys on the ballot every year that didn't have careers even close to Strawberrys.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    colavito belongs
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Straw on the ballot is strictly a formaility. He may get one or two votes, but don't worry about it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Strawberry is not banned from baseball! It is true he was coaching for the Yankees until he decided to commit more to his church.

You need 10 years of MLB to be on the ballot. Its not that hard to get on the ballot.

Strawberry will come short of being in the HOF.

Who deserves being in HOF more: Strawberry, Mattingly, David Cone or Canseco?

Wade Boggs will make it. Sandberg will make it.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    DeutscherGeist - While I do not think any of the four players you mentioned will ever go to the Hall, I think the ranking would be Cone, Canseco, Mattingly, Strawberry.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    I still am waiting on Dave Kingman to be voted in.....

RIP GURU
  • Options
    Who deserves being in HOF more: Strawberry, Mattingly, David Cone or Canseco?Text

Mattingly. Compare his numbers to Kirby Puckett's. Very similar. People say "Well, Puckett's career got cut short because of an injury." So did Mattingly's.

Also deserving, IMO: Jim Rice (huge numbers during a pitcher's era), Graig Nettles (the dominant AL third baseman from 1973-1983), and Gossage/Sutter (if Fingers and Eck are in, then these two guys need to be in as well).

-Al
  • Options
    I have a personal conspiracy theory that Kingman was unofficially blackballed out of baseball so that he wouldn't get 500 HR. His last season was in 1986 at the age of 37 for Oakland. He hit 35 HR. Nobody even offered him a minor league contract for 1987. Now I know that he batted .210 that last year, but he batted .221, .204 and .198 in the three seasons before the A's picked him up in 1984. His homerun total was the second highest he produced in the previous seven seasons, including his last one. He was #2, #7 and #2 in homeruns in the AL his last three seasons while with the A's. He was two seasons of 29 HR each away from the mythical 500 mark, which was still an amazing accomplishment at the time. I have no doubt that he would have done it. Certainly, teams like the Mariners, White Sox, Twins, Orioles and Brewers could have used him as a DH. The Braves, Padres, Cubs and Pirates couldn't have lost anything by picking him up as well. Yet inexplicably, he was out of baseball.
  • Options
    Vargha,
    That's some interesting stuff. Serious brain-candy.

<< <i>Who deserves being in HOF more: Strawberry, Mattingly, David Cone or Canseco?

>>

I would rank them...

1. Mattingly-I would vote for him.
    2. Cone-I would vote for him.
    3. Canseco
    4. Strawberry
    Canseco & Strawberry are virtually interchangeable for me. I just remember Canseco being a bigger deal at the height of his popularity than Straw. I loved Darryl Strawberry and collect him avidly. His career and behavior were disappointments, of course.
  • Options
    Sandberg most likely will not get in. Canseco, strawberry, gooden definately will not. Canseco's numbers may be borderline, but I think the magic "500" is losing its luster. I know it is tough, but maybe it shouldn't be an absolute guarantee. If canseco quit at 501, does that make him 100% HOF? I loved Canseco when he was still running and getting the SB, and not just striking out (like sosa is doing now). However, when I think about Canseco and close my eyes... All I see is the pop fly missing his glove, bouncing off his head, and going over the fence for a HR. Not to mention the house arrest, steroids, all his crazy interviews, etc... Bottom line is, I like that the baseball HOF is the toughest HOF to get in. It should be that way. Sandberg was a likeable guy in a very high profile city, but I just don't think he will get the votes. When I take my son to Cooperstown I want every player to be worth looking into, not just mediocre numbers over a long period of time and "he was a nice guy". I think Rose should be in as well, with gambling running rampant it is less and less of an issue as it was. Besides, if Rose would just suck up to MLB they would let him in. Problem is he is a stuborn ass in the face of the facts and he won't back pedal to save his own ass. Integrity? All I know whenever he is at a card show he is probably the happiest guy there, and it isn't uncommon to hear him laughing on the other side of the convention. Too bad 2006 is the last year of eligibility, although it is possible that he can be voted in by some other committee right? His numbers are undoubtably insane and will be forever.

JERO
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The thing that bothers me about Canseco is that his career was streaky. He bounced from team to team as a gamble to see maybe he can come around. He was not the solid reliable always there kind of player like Mattingly or Rice. The same with Strawberry. He was fun to watch with the Yankees, but the only reason why he was a good fit there was because they did not rely on him. He was a part time player essentially and if he went down, they always had Raines, Sierra, Fielder to pick up the slack.

Mattingly was a kind of player you can identify a team with. He was the face of the Yankees. He was there at 1B all the time except in 1990 when he needed back surgery, but he still played about 100 games!

The case with Cone is that maybe he was on the DL too many times and missed out on 200 wins. However, for a long time, he was a warrior who teams wanted because he can literally save the the day. He loved the Yankees and was a post season big game winner. He did not like the hired gun title, but that was actually a compliment because he was THE ONE to get. He is a post season success, CY Young, WS hero, no hitter. His pitching style was also unique: power, finesse and the occasional side arm. He was not a one dimensional pitcher and he was a staff ace.

The looming question for the HOF is if a player was considered the best for a significant stretch.

With Mattingly, this statement is true, but you can argue that in the 1990's Frank Thomas took over that role.

With Cone, yes he was the best, but one can argue that time spent on the DL ruined some of the seasons. I mean he had very good seasons even when on the DL, but he was no Greg Maddux. He might have not had enough HOF type seasons. I would rank him behind Johnson, Clemens, Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, Schilling, who were his contemporaries and a tie with Mussina, Gooden, Brown, Wells. I hope I did not leave anyone out. So, I think Cone maybe the 7th best pitcher of his generation. For sure the top 10. Is that enough for the HOF? Cone is also considered to be a top 100 pitcher of all time by Bill James. He has a borderline case.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Regarding Kingman's passing from the game, remember 1987 was when the big collusion case among the owners came up. Lots of attractive free agents got no offers, or only offers from their original teams, and that lead to a federal court case and a big settlement from the owners. Bad timing on Kingman's part. If Tom Hicks owned the Rangers then, he would've snapped him up in a minute.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    the writers hated kingman. he could have had 600 dingers and he would not get into the hall.

Good for you.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Easily one of my favorite cards with all those ghouls in the background
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."