Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1955 Bowman VS 1955 Topps

I am so tired of watching 1955 topps commons in 8 or better receive ridiculous ending bids. (PSa 8's over 500 bucks) I am able to go 100% on my set, however, I dont think an overall grade of 5/6 is that much to brag about, or worth the cost of grading the rest. I also think doing the set right now in 7 is about half the cost of an 8! I also can go about 80-85% of the 1955 Bowman set in 6.5. I noticed on the set registry the Bowman is set is far less collected 25 finest to the '55 topps 64 finest. Are the Bowman commons cheaper? I know the set has many more cards, and are far more condition sensitive, but why is it so much less collected. Has a Campy, Howard RC, and Mantle, is it just topps is better looking, or Bowman faded out after this set?. Also, what has happened in the past after the big dogs (Branca, Fogel, Luchinos, or rearreverendsporttrindleberg and qualityfhorseracing in my case) have completed their sets. Have values, or ending prices diminished rapidly? In short, should I move from one set to the other until the big dogs take their bones and go home???image

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I think your last answer is the correct one in your case. It sounds like you are neither obsessed with having a very high-grade set or possessed of the means to obtain it. But that's ok, few are. 55 Bowman is much less popular than its Topps counterpart. Some people think the TV idea is stupid. Others hate wood grain (like the enmity towards 1962 Topps). Others think missing Ted Williams, not to mention Sandy Koufax, and Roberto Clemente is a deathblow for the set. But it has Mantle, which Topps doesn't. And I love the Kodachrome photography compared to the Topps paintings, especially when it comes off right, but I'm in the minority there. Did I mention I have Mantle in poor condition that has absolutely perfect, almost 3-dimensional, registration on the photo? Anyway, those are the primary reasons why Bowman is cheaper, and they are, on the whole, but on any given card you can still find competition. If you're happy building a couple different sets in the 5-6-7 range, and aren't compulsive about working on only one thing at a time, bouncing around from set to set is a completely viable way to keep your interest up, your costs down, and your collection moving along.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    why not work on both? when things get to crazy on one you can focus on the other, and eventually complete both. I've found the Davillilo method of set building (work on a few sets, so that you don't get caught in a temporary run up on any one) has saved me a lot of money and kept the frustration level down when a set gets "hot"
    Topps has the big name rookies, Bowman has Mantle and umpires, and a few variations to make it interesting.
    Personally if 7's are half the cost of 8's I'd go for an all 7 set- it is still a near mint set, and they'll be much easier to find.
    If you're looking for info on the Bowman set pm Marc S. (mike schmidt on this board). I doubt anyone is more knowledgable about this set, and he may be able to help you get started.
    Best of luck, either set is a no lose proposition.

PS I've found people bail out on sets all the time- email everyone on the registry just in case. At the very least you'll be on their list for their 7's when they upgrade to 8's.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    i would think that a complete 55 topps set in true ex/mnt not only is somthing to brag about but has great upside potential.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>i would think that a complete 55 topps set in true ex/mnt not only is somthing to brag about but has great upside potential. >>

Thanks Steve...for the compliment image I need a registry special for 5 bucks a card, I need about 90 cards graded.

I also have used the search feature (how bout that!) and checked out all the topics mschmidt has discussed. I think 7's with the occasional low bid on an 8 could do the trick. I was just pissed when I went to the last show and saw the Kruk cards table. I am young and look even younger (ask con40 or packcollector I look about 19-20) I asked, politely I might add, how much the '55 Podres in an 8 was (SMR of about 200) The guys gives me a smirk and tells me "1100 kid"?? People are out of their minds over this set, and Dem bums especially, but 1100 whoa. What about prices when the top dogs stop bidding?
  • Options
    '55 Bowmans are so cool and look amazing in high-grade! The downside is that ex/mt copies look awful while ex/mt 55 Topps present quite nicely. If I could have either set in PSA 8-9 (for aesthetics alone) I would choose 55 Bowman. If it was ex/mt I'd choose 55 Topps. In the end, my opinion just reflects my personal preference. Yours may differ. I think completing a set of 55 Bowman or Topps in ANY presentable grade is a worthwhile endeavor and impressive. Enjoy your sets!

dgf
  • Options
    Which card do most collector's desire more...55 Topps Koufax or Clemente -OR- 55 Bowman Mantle?

dgf
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    RepublicanMass:

Interesting topic.

You are right that Bowman is far less collected (in graded form) than 1955 Topps. There are a number of high-grade 1955 Bowman sets out there in raw form that simply have not been graded yet. Bowman cards are, generally, cheaper than their Topps counterparts. The set, overall, does not seem to be nearly as popular as Topps that year - for many of the reasons listed already. However, as someone who has lived and breathed this set for the last 6+ years - I can tell you that it is a fun one to build. One thing I like about it is that there is not any single card from the set that will break your bank in top grade. Mantle is the most expensive 8 - and Ernie Banks is one of the toughest (popular) HOF cards to find in 8. I think the umpire subset is really cool - and I think the TV design captures the zeitgeist of the 1950s - although perhaps prematurely. I think that, compared to Topps from the same year, there is much better and broader representation from the Yankees and Dodgers sets - which is important given the rivalry of the times and the current popularity of collecting both teams.

As it relates to big dogs - there are two modes of thought. One is that they will simply drive up the prices for upgrades in their currently-collected sets. Some are surprised that, despite a large recent find, relatively low poulation 9s from the 1951 Bowman set, for example, routinely command thousands of dollars each. Alternatively - to the extent that any of them wish to complete the "Bowman run", for example - the 1955 Bowman baseball set will prove to be an infinitely tough set for even the big-money players to accumulate in the grades that they like. You are correct that the set is condition sensitive. In fact - it is the ONLY major set from the 1950s that has yet to be completed in straight NM/MT or better condition - although two collectors are both within one card of completing that task.

Low populations in 1955 Bowman also command huge prices. Although not on the order of other sets from the same era - there are nonetheless quite a few cards from the set with PSA 8 populations of six or less. #232 Birdie Tebbets in PSA 8 was sold this past summer by Peter Lalos for a whopping $1,500. Some of these low population cards even command strong numbers in 7 grade - on the order of $75 - $100. But, overall - 7s are eschewed, and it is such a tough set, I think that is one reason it is not graded out more often. Shoeless Joe's Joe Yanello has a decent story about a recent attempt to grade out parts of a set he purchased - with very difficult results. 8s are exceptionally tough - and 9s are virtually non-existant. It seems as if 1/3 or so of all the existing 9s reside in one set - and over 1/2 of the cards in the set still have never had a PSA 9 or PSA 10 example.

I think the 1955 Bowman set is a very fun one to collect - and it won't break your bank, especially when you combine 7s in with 8s. That is what many people on the Registry seem to have done. FWIW - 7s are a great value, and can often look pretty darn good if you are selective about the 7s you get. I would say go for it. Let 1955 calm down - it eventually will - and build the Bowman set in the meanwhile.

Cheers-
    ~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    DGF:

Is not the more appropriate question: Which set houses the better Don Mossi rookie card? I think 1955 Bowman wins by a landslide:

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Congratulations on the completion of the 1955 Topps set. I cannot understand why anyone would ever consider the 1955 Bowman set instead of the 1955 Topps set. The 1955 Topps is one of the most attractive and important sets of all time and the Bowman is one of the biggest duds of all time. There is good reason why the Topps cards sell for so much more than the Bowman cards.

There is absolutely no comparison between the 1955 Topps set and the 1955 Bowman by virtue of player selection alone. The Topps set has two of the most important rookie cards of all time in Clemente and Koufax. Bowman omits those two and instead includes a number of umpire cards. No one can disagree that Bowman completely dropped the ball on that one. image

The Topps set has vibrant colors and both portraits and action images. The television set design of the Bowman set is one of the ugliest designs of all time. (Mind you, I hate wood borders as much as hate faux wood panels on the side of old stationwagons. The 55 Bowman, 62 Topps, 68 Topps and 87 Topps sets are some of my least favorite sets of all time.) While I think 1955 Bowman are ugly even in strong condition, they are absolutely horrible in lower condition because the wear shows up so much more with the dark borders. Anything less than PSA 8 on those cards are completely unacceptable IMHO.

The Bowman set was not appreciated in 1955 and as a result became the last set Bowman produced for a long time. It was not popular then, it is not popular now, and I highly doubt that the 1955 Bowman set will ever become popular with collectors.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    i would think that a complete 55 topps set in true ex/mnt not only is somthing to brag about but has great upside potential.

I would have to agree 100% with Steve.

PSA 8's and 9's from 50's sets are something that not many can afford. I am working on a 52 Bowman set in the same grade, and I can say that roughly half of my near 50% completion mark were hand picked or submitted by myself.

There is such a thing as a "high grade" PSA 5 or 6. They present very well.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    The Great "Koby" has spoken! There you have it! No other opinion matters. Thank you Koby, I have seen the light. In fact, I'm going to dump all of my 55 Bowmans in the lake and watch them rot! What was I thinking??? Marc, I am sorry that you were just informed by the master that you have, indeed, wasted six years of your collecting life, but hey, that's the way the card-stock crumbles.

Marc,
    I saw some of the most gorgeous 55 Bowmans at the Chicago show last week I've ever seen. Just outrageous. If a person hated 55 Bowman, they would gain a strong measure of respect for them after that display. The '55 Topps set is very nice, but that doesn't mean you're a moron for not collecting them. One question: If Cable had been invented in 1955, would Mossi be able to get HBO for free just by facing due West in the evening?

Koby,
    I think Topps omitted someone pretty good, too. Not having Koufax or Clemente has nothing to do with the visual appeal of a baseball card.
    There was also no ball to be dropped. Things were quite different 50 years ago. Players were only regionally touted and regional rivalries took precedence of star appeal. You make some fine points in your post, but it's a little disparaging to folks who have built the set. A little tact would go a long way in cases like this...

dgf
  • Options
    Koby:

I think you are being a tad unfair, although I am definitely biased.

RepublicanMass clearly stated that $$$ was part of the reasons for this consideration. To that extent - the 1955 Bowman set is absolutely much more affordable. Using SMR as a guide - one can easily say that the 1955 Bowman set is 60% larger, but can be purchased for 30-40% less than the 1955 Topps set. That is a huge difference! Especially for those of us that must collect on a budget.

Yes - Bowman does omit Clemente and Koufax. No doubt about it. But Mickey Mantle will always be remembered as the most popular player of the 1950s. And you cannot find him at Topps. Although you can make these comparisons ad nauseum, you can also include Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese, Whitey Ford, Richie Ashburn and other HOFers to the list of key players in the Bowman set and not in the Topps.

You elude to the conclusion that 1955 Bowman was unpopular with collectors and, thus, was the last set Bowman ever produced. In fact, Topps purchased Bowman out of the market in January 1956. I think that is a highly different conclusion than that which you draw. Also - in 1955, as it specifically relates to popularity, I can't imagine any young kid in 1955 gave a flying f about either Clemente or Koufax - both of them were well before their prime, though Mantle was the veritable superstar of the Yanks by then.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard many negative comments in the past about the 55 Bowmans. You guys are correct there in that set is not very popular, but it is still an interesting set and very collectable. You guys are wrong though about the 62 Topps - that set is very popular and happens to be one of my favorite sets. As always, everyone is entitled to their opinion and can collect whatever they want. Frankly, I've never seen a 50s or 60s Topps or Bowman card that I didn't like. Even that Don Mossi card looks beautiful to me. image
  • Options
    I'll trade you 2 Psa 8 Podres for your Koufax......NAH

Good for you.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>The Great "Koby" has spoken! There you have it! No other opinion matters. >>

Thanks DGF. I could tell there is no sarcasm there. image

I actually like both sets.....just playing devil's advocate.

But I do stand by my opinion that wood borders, dark borders and black border look are unattractive in rough condition, while you can get away with more wear on white border cards.
  • Options

EX cards when well centered do present very nice like Neal said.

the white markings about the face and ear are not on the card but must be from the soft plastic sleeve.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The 55 Bowman Banks is one of the best cards ever made, in my own humble opinion. Certainly Mr. Cubs best ...

Not mine, but the only one I could find on a moments notice ....
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Marc - I decided to run the Don Mossi test with some small children. First I showed them the Bowman card from this thread. They all cringed. Then I showed them a '55 Topps Mossi. They're still running. image

As far as rookie selection goes, don't forget Harmon Killebrew, who also appears in Topps but not Bowman.

Personally, I'm not really into either of the '55 sets. I don't like horizontal cards much. Of course, my opinion on this and $.02 will give you $.02.

Koufax had an immediate following among one group of card collectors at the time - Jewish kids (especially in the New York area). I would not be surprised if this accounted for some of the prevalence of Koufax rookies over Clemente rookies (I'd estimate I'm twice as likely to see a Koufax as a Clemente at a card show in the L. A. area, and Koufax rookies also seem to show up more often than Clemente rookies on ebay).

dgf - no, but if Mossi tilted his head to the right, the clubhouse could pick up Wagon Train.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Nick,
    awesome!
    BTW, I don't care for horizontal cards either. I've tried to like 'em...just don't. Go figure.

dgf
  • Options
    I guess I'm in the minority - I love horizontals! The only mainstream issue that I now collect is 1960 Topps Baseball. In the player sets and pre-war sets that I collect, I always like to get a nice horizontal card!

Here are a few for your viewing pleasure! image

JEB.

Modern

Vintage

Pre-War

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Jeb,

That Clemente card is sharp! I like the Rice too of course and the T218 has great color but man is that guy scrawny looking! Any idea what weight class he fought in?

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JEB,
    I'm right there with you, I've always loved the horizontal cards. The 56 and 60 sets are two of my favorites and how could anyone complain about a 1971 Munson?

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    God bless the '71 Munson.

dgf
  • Options
    Just a glimpse of what I am talking about bid history for psa 8 common
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I'm with JEB on the horizontals as well. Here's a few that I used to own . . .

• Options
    Note to all of you:

My Ebay user ID is dromedary1.

If you ever see me bid $2000 on a vintage Topps common, even if it's graded PSA ULTRA-SUPER-GEM-MINT 11, please find me and shoot me.

-Al
  • Options
    Vargha - Sweet cards!!
    Love those 51's!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Al, I'm kind of an impatient guy. Would it be alright just to shoot you now?