Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI First Graded???

Does anybody really care that a card was the first graded?? I see people hyping it up in their auctions as if it is some kind of big deal. If anything, that means that the graders have never graded one of those before, which means they don't have much experience grading that card(and they lack a good frame of reference). To me that is a negative, as a grading error would be more likely.

Comments

• Options
    While it may mean that it was the first time they've graded THAT card (for example, some specific, new Old Judge) it doesn't necessarily mean that they've never graded that type of card before (such as any other N 172). So, they may certainly know the grading standards for that series.

That being said, "first graded" holds no premium for me in collecting.

Doug
    "I saw Jacques Cousteau at the grocery store in L.A. once & I watched to see what he would buy, but he only got corn chips & some shoelaces & I don't know what I expected, but I would've settled for a can of chunk light tuna even. "
    Brian Andreas
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    "First Graded" is , for me, a meaningless piece of information.

I think this practice is a spinoff of the hype surrounding PSAs "first graded" card being the Gretzky/McNall T206 Wagner card. GAI carries this further to include the first of any particular card. Useless hype.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    I think I have also seen 1st issue, whcih probably means the first of the issue to be graded.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think they do it for each grade. I may be worng- but I think they have 1st graded Kobe Chrome Rookie 9, 1st graded Kobe Chrome Rookie 9.5, etc.

Maybe it means it was graded by a kid in the first grade. I would prefer the more scarce kindergarten issue.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    I like GAI well enough, but the "First Graded" label is a bunch of crap, and means nothing to me..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    While the concept may have been a bit unique at first, I think it's pretty much dead now
    for most. However, I know some that still and only want the "first graded" designation
    as they find it unique and that's what their collection consists of when it comes to rookie cards.
    You can basically have first graded (19 different) for that one particular card. First graded "1" all
    the way to "10" with the mid grades in between. First Issue is the same concept but they don't
    use it anymore. That's when they first started out.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Why do people pay premiums for modern serially-numbered cards that are 1/XXX?

Goodness knows - but obviously some people care about that?!?!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>Why do people pay premiums for modern serially-numbered cards that are 1/XXX?

Goodness knows - but obviously some people care about that?!?! >>

i know of somebody who collects any Rickey Henderson game used stuff if it is #1/anything.. in fact, the b@stard has a card I need, and he wont get rid of it because it's #1/XX.. i dont want it for its number, i just want the freakin card..

edit - he's not really a b@stard (in case he reads the boards) if he'll sell me the card..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Premiums?

Absolutely not. In fact, just the opposite. I think there is actually stigma attached to GAI "first graded" cards.

• Options
    I don't know who I think is more to blame for the whole "first graded" nonsense; GAI for offering such a notation or the greedy wankers who send in god-knows-what just so it can be "first graded"; I mean, I suppose I can understand serial-number premiums like 001/xxx or jersey#/xxx since that notation is actually on the card itself but the the "first graded" is just about as much bloody rubbish (no, I ain't gettin' all brit on y'all to try to sound cool or anything image I just watch a lot of British movies image ) as the people who do those "diamond 1/1" and similar things...
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options

<< <i> (no, I ain't gettin' all brit on y'all to try to sound cool or anything image I just watch a lot of British movies image ) >>

i have to use subtitles when i watch a british movie.. i wish they would just speak english..
    ·p_A·