Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Autographed Bat

Can anyone tell me how much is a 1989 American League All-Star team autographed bat worth? I believe there are only 250 in existence. Mark McGwire, Bo Jackson, Cal Ripken, Nolan Ryan, etc signed it. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    It depends if it's authenticated or carries some proof that every auto on it is real. I showed some scans of a bat that purported to be a 1999 World Series Yankees bat with 22 signatures, but the auto pros here informed me that at least some of the sigs were fakes. I'm not a bat pro, but I would guess even a couple forged autos would pretty much make the whole bat much less desirable and valuable.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have the COA. Also, what is the best way to sell it?
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The best way to sell it would be as a PSA/DNA bat.

Who is the COA issued by?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I believe Upper Deck, but will have to verify. It has been a while since I looked at it. Any insight as to the value? Is EBAY the way to go?
  • Options
    You could use an "auction house", if they would accept it.

But you would have to pay a hefty fee to sell it, usually around 15%

Additionally, the "auction house" takes another "matching amount" out of the final selling fee, for a "buyers fee" or something similar.

That's whopping 30% off the final sale price.

So I'd say, put it on ebay with a reserve to protect your "investment".

Dal
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    UD didn't start until 1989 so that is unlikely. If it is not from a reputable company, PSA/DNA it. Then eBay if it passes PSA/DNA it would be a pretty nice item, has 5 or 6 big stars and the rest are mostly semi-stars at best. I have never seen one, so you may do great.
  • Options
    Any idea as to an adequate reserve amount that should be set for a sale on EBAY? Thanks.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But you would have to pay a hefty fee to sell it, usually around 15% >>

Dal
    I think the consigner is responsible for the 15% and the buyer is responsible for the other 15% if that is what the BP is.
    Also, ya know...15% is not bad considering the "promotional" work behind an auction and the fact that if it is a good company, you may get a higher return than from other sources. I wish the overhead in my office could be kept to 15 pts.LOL
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Do you know of any reputable "auction houses" that I could use? Thanks.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    15% for the seller and 15% for the buyer is horrible. In order for someone consigning to these auction house to even break even, he would need to sell the items for approximately 30 percent more than what he originally purchased the item for. Then the consigner would have to wait for months to get paid. It would interesting to see whether on average the rpices in big auction houses beating ebay prices by more than 30 percent.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    BB - for a bat like that, I would recommend SportsCardsPlus, American Memorabilia, Vintage Authentics, or Grey Flannel Auctions.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick. Any idea to an estimated value so that I have a heads up beforehand?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BB13,

It's only worth about $50. I'll give you $75 for it! image

Just kidding! I really have no idea on the value. If it is authenticated, I'm sure it would bring a hefty price. I would Ebay it for 10 days, and definitely do a "FEATURED AUCTION". On high dollar items, it is wise investment for just $19.95. I just don't see how an auction house can beat Ebay by 30%. Plus, with Ebay, there isn't the hassle. I hope that helps.

Just email me if you want to take my offer! image

Shane

• Options
  • Options
    No ballpark guess as to the value?.....anyone
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    It will depend alot on who issued the COA. Dig it out and let us know. Post some scans for even more insightful critiques.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.