Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thurman goes for $261!

Yeesh. It's getting pricey to collect high grade 1970s Topps Thurman Munson cards. A 1973 Topps PSA 9 just went for $261 on Ebay! The SMR is so far behind on these cards. Have these cards really gotten this hot or is it just a Christmas shopping thing? The user ID of the high bidder was "reverse-the-curse". Hope he didn't buy it to burn it...Any thoughts?

Doug

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug
    Was the card well centered? With the set I collect, if a card is well centered, it will go SMR and above most all the time, even in 8. A nicely centered card (60/40) will usually go below SMR and thus for me is a bargain since that is OK with me. Of course, if two people want the card bad enough....the price can go thru the roof. IMO, there are numerous variables to why a card goes above SMR and you are also probably correct about the guide needing an update more frequently.
    Just some ideas...
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    Mike, thanks for your thoughts. The card was especially well-centered, so that may have been it. I've noticed a trend, only in the last week or so, of Munson's PSA 9 cards going significantly higher than usual. I suspect it's NY Yankees Christmas buying season...I know that's what I'm asking Santa for.

Doug
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Munson cards have always been in high demand. The SMR has been out of whack for his high-end cards for some time now in that it is too low. Yet in the same sets, SMR is too high for other superstars. Munson will likely be a high demand card for some time due to his career stats, his Yankee status and the way he died. They all have served to make him a modern icon amongst players in the 70's.