Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jeff guys-Is this an 83D doubled reverse?

JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
Found what looks like a strong doubled reverse on a circulated 83D Jeff. It does not look like die deterioration doubling because of the strong split serifs. Is this a known variety? Any opinions appreciated.
Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Comments

• Options
    It appears to be a DD from your photos. There have been none reported to CONECA for that year. You may want to send it in to James Wiles to see if it would qualify to be listed in the files.
    Regards,

J. Taylor
    CONECA Member
    FSNC Member

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    NICE FIND!!!! Great eye
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be a real rarity if it's what it looks like.

It has to be scarce or it would have been reported before now. With only some 100,000
    uncs in existence there is a distinct possibility it won't exist in this grade. This could leave
    another coin which is only available in circulation (in vf- condition).
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Sure looks like a doubled die.
  • Options
    Here are some more pics. It has all the characteristics of a nice doubled die.
    imageimageimage
    This last pic shows a close-up of the split serifs.
    edited for spelling (again)
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hesitant on this one. Looks more like machine doubling to me.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I agree with jtwax on this... send it in to Brian Ribar... and now I've got some more rolls to check...
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options

<< <i>I am hesitant on this one. Looks more like machine doubling to me. >>

Nope, that is a doubled die. If the serifs are cut its doubled, look at the T's. Brian Ribar is the man to give the attribution. I found a new 38 Jeff doubled die rev and had Brian confirm it. Nice find, I must say.
  • Options
    Looks good to me - a great find! image

Ken
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I know James Wiles is at CONECA, but I am not familiar with Brian Ribar. Can someone shoot me a PM with a contact. Thanks again-- I will post the results on this board when I hear from a pro. By the way- this coin is not machine doubled.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i hope its attributed a DD but if not, i think it could be deteriorating die doubling or abrasion doubling.
    hope i,m wrong and YOU are right.
  • Options
    I've got one that's similar, but not as strong. What does EPU look like on yours?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i went on a `82,`83 Jeff hunt not long ago and
    i noticed nearly all i found of the `83 were LDS
    Many `82 but the `83 is tough to find in EDS
    from circulation. i say this because i think i found
    atleast one coin that shows this odd doubling.
    if yours get attrubuted that would be great news for
    us all.
    i,m crossing my fingers.
  • Options
    Here are some pics of the EPU. It does not show the strong doubling, but does show some LDS die deterioration doubling. I agree with you Cam40 in that almost all Jeffs from this time period have awful strikes and soooo many show really bad die deterioration doubling. This one coin looked a little different and that is probably why I put is aside a while back to look at again "on a rainy day". This may very well be an example of DDD or DAD, and if so- oh well, but Hey- you never know.image
  • Options
    Thanks jrocco. I have my doubts about mine being a doubled die, but don't have a good explanation for it, especially the gaps in the crossbars. Yours looks more likely to be one. Let us know if you send it in.
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file