Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Autograph ball question

Hi,

Back in the 80's, I went to baseball card shows with my dad and we got balls signed by players. Now I have a bunch of duplicates so I'd like to sell some. I got players like Mantle and Billy Martin but it seems like it would cost just as much to get them authenticated by PSA/DNA than I would get from the sale. Is that true? What's the market for these balls. I also have one signed by Rickey Henderson, Maury Wills, Lou Brock, and Vince Coleman. Coleman signed during his rookie year and we thought it would become the SB legends ball.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank
    I won't speak for all the items, but Mantle PSA/DNA is doing well on ebay! Check out this link.
    I have seen Mantle balls going for 4-500$ right now. From what I can see, better than Williams or DiMaggio.

I think it will cost you 75 bucks to have the Mantle authenticated...so it would definitely be worth the tariff IMO.

your friend
    Mike

edit: pic
    Mike
  • Options
    DEFINITELY authenticate the Mantle. They go for big bucks!

Mark
  • Options
    Should I get the ball graded too? It would be 100 dollars, authentication and grading. Thanks for the advice,
    Steve
  • Options
    Also, what's this LOA upgrade for $10? I thought it would have a LOA anyway.
  • Options
    The upgrade fee only applies if the sig costs $50.00 or less to authenticate. Some of your signed balls may fall in that category (Coleman & Henderson), but the Mantle definately won't. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, what's this LOA upgrade for $10? I thought it would have a LOA anyway. >>

Steve
    Except for a high end ball like the Mantle and better...I think the COA which has the serial number which matches the one that is one the ball would be more than enough if one were to sell a ball on ebay.
    E.g.: A Gary Carter HOF ball can be bought on ebay for under 20$ with a psa/dna COA.

As a side note, I would prefer if they used matching holograms on the COA stickers like UD has.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike