Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Sweet Spot Autographs

I have collected UD's Sweet Spot autograph cards since they came out. I love them. I wish I got credit for them from UD and Fleer, since they were my idea image. but that's beside the point. I've been compiling checklists for them and with the latest release, they've now reached 250 different players (at least) with a signed simulated ball card over the 7 sets. While this does include incredibly rare and expensive ones like Mantle, Ruth, Cobb, and Ted Williams, there are now cards for most living active and retired star players who sign regularly. 2004 has many 1st time signers, among them John Smoltz, Mike Piazza, Mike Mussina, Manny Ramirez, Juan Gonzalez, Edgar Martinez, Carlos Beltran, Tim Hudson, Johan Santana, Miguel Tejada, Will Clark, Joe Mauer, and Albert Pujols. In addition to the balls and bat barrels they added last year (which I don't include on my list) are "glove" cards with brown leather and stitching. Not all signers have these cards, and they are all numbered quite low, under 50. But they are signed with a Sharpie and the sigs are of low quality. And speaking of low quality, Rickie Weeks has on his cards just about the worst sig I've ever seen, a half-inch squiggle. Also of note are extremely tough cards of Dr. Mike Marshall, the 1970s reliever, who is a notorious non-signer in any situation. I believe these are his first signed cards.

Now, is anyone here an intellectual properties lawyer?
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    wow, im on your side! looks to me like they stole your idea and even the name!

although, i'm not a lawyer, and my only experience is with criminal defense attorneys image
    ·p_A·
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    While I'm not a lawyer (check back in about a year), I can shed a bit of light on the question.

Remember the Taco Bell dog? Apparently someone pitched an ad campaign to Taco Bell with that idea years ago. Taco Bell blew the guy off, but years later made the ads. He sued and won $30,000,000 in damages.

Yo quiero thirty million

So, I'd say that if you had pitched your idea to a card company you might have a good shot. Failing that, I'm not really sure.

Oh...I just got my Sweet Signatures Will Clark card in the mail yesterday. By far the thickest card I own. I'm surprised PSA hasn't made a thicker slab to allow them to grade the modern game used stuff. There are some big bucks in that market, and I'm sure many would like to get their cards graded and protected.