Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

IKE Guys-Can you take a look at this thread and let us know what you think? RE: 1971-D IKEs

This has been floating around on the Coin Forum and none of the big IKEsters have posted. What do you all think of it? Any of you have it? Any of you have anymore information than what has already been posted?

Thanks! Richard.

1971-D RDV-06

Comments

• Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    Looks like a legit variety to me. Can we come up with a catchy name for it?
    "Peg Leg" sounds rather neat.image......Maybe, "Huge-A-Cuba"?image
    At least we are looking at the same area we have already trained our eyes
    to look for the 72 Type 2's.

I haven't had a chance to go through my 71-D rolls yet, so I really can't
    attest as to how hard they are to find. Maybe if ANACS will designate
    it, PCGS will take a serious look at adding it to the Ike Variety set.

Brian
  • Options
    The crater reminds me of a jellyfish.
    The "Jellyfish" Ike?
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been meaning to call ANACS to see if they attribute them, but cannot seem to remember on week days.

Also note that is the strike is a bit weak and you cannot tell by looking at the Earth, you can look at the crater in the moon. Very distinct differences between the two varieties.
  • Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I've never looked at craters before....too dang busy looking at the Earth for Type 2'S.

But,...now that you mention it...."Jellyfish" seems to describe it quite well!image
    Anyone else have a "catchy" name for this variety?

Brian

• Options

<< <i>Anyone else have a "catchy" name for this variety? Brian >>

I have one, but it is plain, simple and direct--> Type 2.imageimage
  • Options
    David is supposed to be looking at new Ike and SBA varieties, so why don't you put this one forward to him in the Q&A Forum.
  • Options
    Just posted it on the Q and A board. Looking forward to hearing from David. image
  • Options
    OK I just searched the 900 or so 1971 D Ike's I had lying around. I found 15 Type 2 coins or "Big Gulfs" as I have come to think of them. I find the most noticable thing about them is the large half circle shaped Gulf of Mexico, hence the "Big Gulf" title (although I think T2 is probably easier).

When I first read this thread on the regular forum I thought that the variety was not significant enough to be recognized, however after re-reading it and searching out the coins myself I have changed my mind. I think that this is the next most important variety behind the 1972 T 1-3. The only thing that makes the 1972 coins more interesting is that they are high & low relief and were used on other specific coins (T1=1971 S coins, T2=1972 S coins and T3=1973 coins). The differences on the reverse of the Big Gulfs is quite striking and fairly easy to recognize with the naked eye (not quite as easy as the 1972 coins, but almost).

I still believe that the Peg Leg coins should be recognized, but see that there will be some conflict over which ones should be recognized and which ones should not. This coin is an obvious true die variety and we variety collectors should get behind it being recognized for what it is ASAP.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options

<< <i>I still believe that the Peg Leg coins should be recognized, but see that there will be some conflict over which ones should be recognized and which ones should not. This coin is an obvious true die variety and we variety collectors should get behind it being recognized for what it is ASAP. >>

Well said! image
  • Options
    SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Yes the craters are a little different but I look for the shape of the earth and the outline of the earth. The 1971-D Type 1 (RDV-001) has a raised rim around the earth while the 1971-D Type 2 (RDV-006) has a no rim around the earth. You can look at the details of the eagle's head. I noticed that the eyes are different in shape and detail from T1-T2. Another detail is to look at the shape of the earth. Type 2 is more rounded while the type 1 has is flattened at 10-11 o'clock. The confirmation of this variety are the islands and how they aligned compared to the Type 1. There may be other differences that I have not seen, but I just stick witht he ones I can see with the unaided eye.

-matt

DRG: Stop outbidding me on my auctions! image