Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

400 miles for this!

I found a show in cincy today where griffey sr was signing so i went to get my pic of the starting 8 signed. 400 miles for him to sign this pic and he talked on his cell phone while he was signing. a horrible signature! i would rather he didnt sign it at all. he had 30 sharpies in front of him and he used the dullest one. i was about sick to my stomach when i saw the auto. ruined the pic for me! below is what his auto usually looks like and then what the one today does.

On the bright side i did pick up a nice 68 mantle, really sharp 72 &73 nolan ryan, and a great looking 75 bench for$6!

Comments

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a jerk, kinda like his son.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    That's what really sickens me about the whole concept of palyers signing these days. I know they don't want to do it (who would?), but at the prices they charge for 10 seconds of their time, it would be nice to see a little more customer service, since in the end, that's what we are. I remember waiting outside ballparks after games as a kid, and catching the players after they got out of the locker room for sigs. I have my little league glove coevered in sigs of the 1988 Twins team, that cost me not one penny. I think I was so caught up in it, some of the older guys waiting for signatures had some fun with me and signed it as well - I pretty much didn't care. Could someone do this nowadays, or do players only sign when they're getting paid to do it?
  • Options
    you should have handed it back to the promoter and told him you wanted a replacement, and if he couldn't replace the photo - the sig fee and $ to buy a new photo and $ to replace the sigs already there. HE SHOULD do such, but I guess there is always a chance he wouldn't. Sorry to hear (and see) that sig... but nice job on the cards.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger
    I am sorry to see that!!!! Very disappointing to say the least. Who else is on the photo?
    I said this earlier today...in light of the Ron Artest incident...my concluding thoughts on the whole thing:
    I love the game but NOT the players!
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Ranger
    I am sorry to see that!!!! Very disappointing to say the least. Who else is on the photo?
    I said this earlier today...in light of the Ron Artest incident...my concluding thoughts on the whole thing:
    I love the game but NOT the players!
    your friend
    Mike >>

The pic is of the starting 8. Signed by perez, geronimo, concepcion, griffey and im getting bench this week.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    What a jerk! The bottom signature does not look anyhting like the other signature. Sorry about your experience with Griffey Sr. Hopefully Bench will be a little more considerate.
  • Options
    We as collectors have the power to say no. When you have to pay $$$ for an athletes autograph and he (or she) won't give you the time of day or signs illegibly, ask for a refund. For years I have heard negative stories about how some athletes treat collectors at autograph shows. It may not be 'a barrel of monkeys' for the players, but they are getting paid a lot of money to sit on their ass and sign a photograph, bat, etc....

Willie Mays has often been cited for being rude and obnoxious to collectors at card shows. But collectors still flock to stand in line and pay $100 (or whatever) to have him treat collectors like peasants. No wonder some athletes have heads the size of Mt. Rushmore. We continually massage their egos and then tell them it is ok to treat collectors like crap because they could hit a ball a long ways.

Let your money do the talking. Don't continue to pay good money for an athletes autograph and then be treated rudely. If enough collectors would do this maybe the promoters would think twice about paying an athlete to treat 'his customers' in this manner.

Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I love the game but NOT the players! >>

Well said, Mike! How inconsiderate of him to be talking on his cell phone during the signings. I realize he might not want to talk to every lowly fan, but - how about showing some respect for the people who supported you in your career? After all, you're Ken Griffey Sr. - not Mickey Mantle!
  • Options
    Ugh! I almost gagged when I saw that auto. I've heard mostly good things about Bench, so hopefully he'll renew some faith in athletes for you. Keep us posted on how his signing goes.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I met Bench at one card show...he was awesome. He shook everyone's hand and thanked them for taking the time to come see him. I have had good experiences with Mantle, Ford, Rizzuto, Berra, Bench, Mattingly, Aparicio, Musial, Feller(great guy but he'll sign anything for a buck!), Catfish Hunter, Brett, Mize, Seaver, Schmidt, Podres, Brooks Robinson, Bobby Murcer, Richie Ashburn, Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Gwynn, and a few others....
    Bad experiences were Mays, Joe DiMaggio, Rose, Reggie Jackson, Aaron, Bob Gibson, Jim Rice, Barry Bonds, Will Clark, Rickey Henderson, and Lawrence Taylor.
    Thankfully the good outweigh the bad. I have no interest in ever receiving autographs in person from the athelete's on the bad list ever again....especially Mays and Rose. Kind of sad too because Rose is one of my all time favorite players. Somone needed to give Mays a baby bottle...he was THAT bad. Horrible to the fans that came for his auto.
    Especially when you are paying good, hard earned money, you would like a bit of gratitude for your support. (as a fan AND monetary!)
    Good luck to all with your autograph endevors!
  • Options
    oaktown,
    i checked out your auto site...very cool. do you display them?
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Manny Ramirez is signing at a card store in NH tonight. He is signing 275 items. Oh yeah, the price STARTS at $300.
  • Options

<< <i>oaktown,
    i checked out your auto site...very cool. do you display them? >>

Thanks man. I currently display everything on a couple bookshelves accept the Perez Steele postcards (I have a MJ Roop binder for them - or soon will - for a Christmas present).

I was thinking of starting a Big Red Machine piece last year when I saw Griffey at Cooperstown. It's a sweet item with some awesome names.

BTW - Mays was a jerk both times I got him, too.
  • Options

<< <i>I met Bench at one card show...he was awesome >>

Barry
    When I was the National in 1992, Bench was signing and the line was long but he set the tone for the rest...there was laughter, pleasantness, fan appreciation and Oh! A big bonus: Mays was like totally annoyed since no one was on his line and he could hear all the chatter...my son did get his auto also, that wasn't pleasant...but seeing Mays annoyed: Priceless!
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Collecting baseball HOF autographs (especially Perez-Steele) >>

Oaktown
    Superb site! Well organized and ez to navigate!
    1. Who wrote the program?
    2. The vintage Williams ball - does it show better without the light flashed on it? My guess is yes.
    3. Besides in person, who do you like getting your stuff from? I only buy psa/dna, ASI, GAI type stuff.
    Thanx
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Collecting baseball HOF autographs (especially Perez-Steele) >>

Oaktown
    Superb site! Well organized and ez to navigate!
    1. Who wrote the program?
    2. The vintage Williams ball - does it show better without the light flashed on it? My guess is yes.
    3. Besides in person, who do you like getting your stuff from? I only buy psa/dna, ASI, GAI type stuff.
    Thanx
    your friend
    Mike >>

Thanks Mike, I used Freewebs for the layout. It's insanely easy to use. The Williams ball is definitely easier to see in person but is still pretty faint. I'd like to eventually get a more recently auto'd ball, but I love the history associated with this one. I'm right with you on those authenticators and with prices of these guys going so high, they're a great alternative to the IP auto.

Thanks for checking out the site
    Mark
  • Options

<< <i>but is still pretty faint. >>

Mark
    I have one like that...this is a Brett auto ball - the auto as such is a poor collectible...but this is a psa/dna certified game used ball from his 3000th hit - for those who don't follow baseball, the umps rub up about 150 balls/game with a special mud to take the high leather gloss off the balls - that's why it looks so dirty.
    I would guess the ball never left the ump's pocket...but that would still qualify as game used IMO.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike