Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1982-No-P...Any chance of a No-D

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know that in 1982 the Philly Mint minted the 1982-No-P, but is this for certain? In the case where both mints make the same mistake, ie: 1942/1 (P/D) Mercury dime, both mints made the overdate.

Is it possible that the Denver Mint made a 1982-No-D? Has anyone ever looked into this?

Just curious, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    At the time they knew the coins came from P-Mint bags.

Many were found at a circus or a fair in Ohio.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is it possible that the Denver Mint made a 1982-No-D? Has anyone ever looked into this? >>

No.

Yes.

Most turned up in Sandusky, Ohio after being returned to the banks at the end of the
    1982 season (Cedar Point). These were indeed found in Philly mint bags here and in
    Pittsburg, PA and a few from out east (DC area). The weak strikes which were mainly
    found in Pittsburg after the initial Ohio discovery were made first. The dies were read-
    justed and the strong strikes were made.

You can occassionally find some "weak D" coins in circulation but I've not seen any evidence
    that there were any other Philly or Denver dies which were used which had no mint mark.
    All the no-P dimes are from the same die. There are, however, probably three die states.

quote added for clarification.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    It's rumored that many of them were found at Cedar Point in Sandusky. I buy my wife and kids season passes to there each year! It's about 1 hour from our place.

Maybe I should ask them for any change back from purchases in dimes!image