It looks nice to me. I would have to agree with an VF-30 grade. Branch mint gold is notorious for poor strikes and this has one so that is a GOOD sign. It does not appear to have been played with very badly.
Appears authentic Best guess VF-25 [50/50 as too whether it would holder-looks like an old cleaning, lots of tics, not dirty original looking to me] Value probably somewhere around 50-60% of VF Trends...wholesale [Dahlonega coins are roughly 10-15% more] Tip...check the rims carefully before purchasing Eye appeal would add a lot impossible to tell by photo
The eye-appeal wasnt much IMO, but then again, Banged up circ gold doesnt appeal to me much anyway. I thought it looked genuine, but I have been overly cautious recently after sending in a small lot of gold that most came back bad. Fortunately, I made an agreement with the seller that I would withhold payment until I recieved conformation back from the grading service. I ended up only eating a few dollars on the submission fee's.
A little Friday night humor! I agree with the rest that it would probably go 25 or 30 and I have found PCGS to be a "little" more lenient on slight cleanings of branch mint gold and let some through. Doesn't look harshly cleaned in the images. Later, CCG
Agree with the others. Most are not "original" but still market acceptable and slab-able. Could 40 at NGC, depending on how obvious the cleaning and how much eye appeal in person.
1848-C $5 is the 17th (of 24) in overall rarity with 145-155 believed to exist per Winter's book on Charlotte gold. I would not call it a "weak C".
As for pricing, I would guess $1000-1200 wholesale, $1200-1500 retail, assuming it is authentic, cleaned, and in 30 holder. (Trends VF-20 is 1600, EF-40 is 1800).
Disclaimer: I ALWAYS follow "Dahlonega''s advice. Pay considerably more heed to what he posted.
Comments
Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.
Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
Tom
Best guess VF-25 [50/50 as too whether it would holder-looks like an old cleaning, lots of tics, not dirty original looking to me]
Value probably somewhere around 50-60% of VF Trends...wholesale [Dahlonega coins are roughly 10-15% more]
Tip...check the rims carefully before purchasing
Eye appeal would add a lot impossible to tell by photo
The eye-appeal wasnt much IMO, but then again, Banged up circ gold doesnt appeal to me much anyway.
I thought it looked genuine, but I have been overly cautious recently after sending in a small lot of gold that most came back bad. Fortunately, I made an agreement with the seller that I would withhold payment until I recieved conformation back from the grading service. I ended up only eating a few dollars on the submission fee's.
jim
A little Friday night humor! I agree with the rest that it would probably go 25 or 30 and I have found PCGS to be a "little" more lenient on slight cleanings of branch mint gold and let some through. Doesn't look harshly cleaned in the images. Later, CCG
My #1 Low Ball Peace Dollar Set
1848-C $5 is the 17th (of 24) in overall rarity with 145-155 believed to exist per Winter's book on Charlotte gold. I would not call it a "weak C".
As for pricing, I would guess $1000-1200 wholesale, $1200-1500 retail, assuming it is authentic, cleaned, and in 30 holder. (Trends VF-20 is 1600, EF-40 is 1800).
Disclaimer: I ALWAYS follow "Dahlonega''s advice. Pay considerably more heed to what he posted.