Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2004 Fleer Ultra Update

I saw this set, factory sealed in shrink warp at Toys R Us. It has a picture of Clemens on it. It is not the set, but a few packs are inside. The cost is $9.99.

Is this something worth preserving. I mean, I was thinking about buying it and placing it in a storage box and just forget about until.....when I am old and gray and need to cash in on my investments. I kind of like the design of the box. It is compact, nice photo of Clemens, eye appeal. It looks cool!! I don't want to buy something I do not like just for the sake of investment purposes. It was an attractive box and is easy to preserve, so I am thinking if it could possibly be some kind of investment. Fleer Ultra cards look beautiful. I liked them ever since they came out in 1992(?), but I have not bought any packs since then. What's more, is that these are the update set. Are these junk? Is Toys R Us charging too much? Where else can I get them?

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Ehh, probably not worth hanging onto. Sounds like you are talking about a "Box Blaster" which is just a retail box. They are sold sealed and pre-priced. Hobby boxes with 12 packs are selling for around $30-35.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, I think it might be a retail box too. I thought they were good stuff. Why are hobby boxes better? They have more packs, but that does not constitute better.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Hobby boxes usually, but not always, have better ratios for inserts and SPs. In some cases, retail boxes may have fewer or different inserts or other variables.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    forget fleer, their last great card was from the 87 set!

If you really want to put something away this year, buy a sealed box of 04 bowman draft picks, that will
    be worth it!

JS
  • Options
    Glad you came Kevin. We have discussed this before.

2004 Bowman Draft Picks is there only this version and not a chrome one? Would I find this in Target, Toys R Us or do I have to bite the bullet and go the Burbank Cards Superstore here in California.

• Options
    BDP will be all chrome and will be a checklist of different players as compared to the regular bowman and
    bowman chrome sets. The checklist right now looks VERY good and you only have to see what 02 and 03
    BDP has done in the past to see that topps does their homework. The only difference this year is that other
    companies have shots at some of these guys. If you ask me Fleer and UD will screw this up. DLP might come
    out with something nice but you never know. Topps has made a mark with BDP and this year it looks even
    better than before!

As far as a way to track it down. It will be sold in retail...but only in 24-count pack searcher defenceless
    boxes. Finding a sealed box in retail would be very very hard.

Your best bet is to order a hobby box on line. It will most likely cost you less than a retail box, you would
    have to worry about Mr Slicky fingers, AND hobby always have better odds, whats best is that these boxes
    ALWAYS cool down a bit after release as everyone is looking for football (super bowl) and basketball.

December/January is a GREAT time for baseball speculation, you can get in low before the March on-slaught.
    Be one of the smart ones and not the guy paying 5 times cost when a guy gets hot. Chances are the
    players here won't get to the majors for a few years but you will be sitting pretty none the less.

I don't know who or what will be on the boxes, and chances are the Ultra boxes may look nicer but they
    just choke when it comes to rookie cards...I think when you are old and grey and looking for some money
    you will want to find 94 SP in your closet and not 92 score!

Good Luck
    JS
  • Options
    "Your best bet is to order a hobby box on line. It will most likely cost you less than a retail box, you would
    have to worry about Mr Slicky fingers, AND hobby always have better odds..."

With a hobby box, would I still worry about pack searchers? I just wanted to be clear on that.

The Fleer Ultra 2004 hobby box is shrink wrapped, so it is tamper proof to buy it from a retail store like Toys R Us. Is the hobby box from BDP like that too.

Which online venue can I buy 2004 BDP since now is the best time to do so. I would not find it in a store?

This is all nice information Kevin!! I really appreciate it!!

• Options
    you can't search sealed boxes and that is what you get on line now a days, however sometimes dealers will
    sell you what is called "dead" boxes. Many times companies are now seeded a big hit per case. SP Cuts is a
    good exapmle. There is one cut sig per case. Many times guys rip until they hit the big card and then sell
    the other boxes for cheap. You won't have to worry about this on rookie type products. BDP has just
    hit and there is a lot of talk about it over on the beckett board, so if you want to find out about it go there.
    From what I have heard it isn't exactly blowing the doors off in value so it might be to your advantage
    to wait a while on this.

Someone did post a box break of the fleer update 19.99 box and it wasn't great. I think you would be
    better off saving up for a hobby box for maybe 55-60 bucks.

Good Luck
    Kevin
  • Options
    2004 BOWMAN DRAFT PICKS & PROSPECTS BASEBALL FACTORY SEALED HOBBY BOX :

24 PACKS W/ 4 BOWMAN CARDS, 2 BOWMAN CHROME CARDS, 1 BOWMAN GOLD PARALLEL CARD PER PACK

EACH HOBBY BOX ALSO HAS 1 AUTOGRAPHED & 1 GAME USED RELIC CARD PER HOBBY BOX ON AVERAGE!!

POSSIBILE HOBBY EXCLUSIVE 1 OF 1 PRINTING PLATES !!

THIS IS GENERALLY ONE OF THE TOP BASEBALL PRODUCTS OF THE YEAR.

I found this on ebay by a 100% feedback seller. The cost is around $55. This is really considered a hobby box? A retail also has 24 packs, though.

• Options
    55 is a good deal....you might want to see what 03 and 02 BDP are going for as a gauge.

Kevin