Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody Know Whatever Became Of The Infamous Coin Posse?

Whatever happened to them? There is a lot they could be doing right now.image

Comments

• I think the volume of sales has slowed them down with their own business. If they can allert the TPG's on new 'DOCTORS" and what to look for quietly, even that's a giant step. Laura got so much grief on this, I doubt it will make these boards again however.
    morgannut2
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately (or fortunately?) IMO there really isn't a whole lot they can do.

Unless and until some law or other criteria is broken, what is there for them to do? If someone wants to bake a coin and sell it as a toned coin, what is there to prevent them from doing that?

What makes matters worse, there are many coins that can not be definitively proven whether they are AT or NT and it comes down to "market acceptability".

But who determines "market acceptability", the market or the coin posse? The posse could possibly influence the market with education but to actually "go after" someone I think is a long stretch.

Joe.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think Dorkkarl caught up to them
  • Maybe the "Reality Possee" caught up to them!
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Coin Posse.image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless and until some law or other criteria is broken, what is there for them to do?

There is a lot that can be done. Without trying to second guess The Posse, I'll just point out that the PNG and all of the TPG's have been tackling the same and similar problems as those targeted by The Posse. Obviously, they have had susbstantial success, and their power to do so comes from consumers, not the government.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard, they were shaving the "S"'s off 1895-S Morgans.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't this discussion ended previously with something like:
    "The coin posse will be working quietly, behind the scenes..."?
    At that time, it seemed to be a "good" dealers/the posse vs their "bad suppliers" scenario...
    and it had to be handled on the QT because "everybody knows everybody", and there is/was a tremendously huge fear of retribution/legal battle(s).
    It would be interesting to know how many "bad suppliers" have been "lynched" so far.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They also are working to clean up how sloppy some generics get graded.

The posse is going after PCGS and NGC??? image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I just saw an example of what Laura is talking about at my dealers store the other day. Some unsuspecting person bought a portfolio of Morgans and Peace. 6 or 8 of the coins were key dates, he paid $15,000 for them. They were all cleaned, but luckily not harshly. He was lucky if he got 15% or 20% of what he paid for them. I ended up buying the 21 Peace, but not the 28, or any of the Morgans.
    Becky
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    ttt
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody Know Whatever Became Of The Infamous Coin Posse? >>

they're out there, i just know it.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file