Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

psa card with evidence of trimming, help!!!

I recently purchased through e-bay a card that in my opinion (graded psa 8 in the holder) shows evidence of trimming. I say this because I measured it and it was a 1/64th of an inch smaller than any other standard size card also measured. also, it appears to me that the card holders are also the same size as the card in order to prohibit movement. this card again is about 1/64th of an inch more away than the other graded cards I have of that size. My question to the all knowing board is this: has anyone else ran into this problem. If so, did you contact psa and what was the outcome. If this card is indeed trimmed. this is most alarming and makes me wonder what is goiung on in thosa grading rooms? what comments and experiences with this will be most appreciated. bob

Comments

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Some issues are subject to size variations.
    What is the card you're talking about?
    Can you show a scan?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    morralman, the card is a 1969 topps card I cant provide a ready scan because my camera is on loan, the only cards Iam aware of that have size inconsistancy is the 1939 playballs. do you or any one else know of any others? thanks, bob
  • Options
    Do you have the Ebay auction number? does that have a scan?

Matt
    Matt - UK based collector
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    In my own area of expertise, limited as it is, there are acceptable size variations in the '48 Swell Sport Thrills set and the Morrell Meats sets. We also know that presentation sets from the '60s are slightly smaller. Other experts?

I also seem to remember someone pointing out that + or - 1/64th of an inch was an acceptable tolerance for PSA, as long as there is no evidence of trimming. Is that correct?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I believe that the acceptable size limitations are up to 1/32 actually, depending on the issue. I've seen plenty of 1969 Topps cards that are slightly smaller and are acceptable, so I don't think you have to be concerned. I think PSA will catch the vast majority of trim jobs in which 1/64 or 1/32 has been shaved off because the edge that has been trimmed has a distinctly different appearance to it to someone who grades thousands of cards on a daily basis. One of the biggest differences that trimmed edges exhibit on vintage cards is that they do not have the typically "fuzz" that a standard machine cut edge leaves. If I have a card that is 1/64 undersized, I have zero hesitation sending it to PSA along with the rest of my order, and they always grade them, and I honestly do not believe any trimming has been committed.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Mark , I believe you're correct there. I'm a '69 set collector and I just took the top 2 cards from the stack on my desk.....the height varies on these 2 by over a millimeter which must be in the 1/64 inch range..these are crds already graded by PSA. It's my opinion you'll find small size variations in almost any set that was made before the modern era where the machinery for cutting is so much more exact. I wouldn't worry about that card cattman unless it's way off .

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You all have given correct information, IMO, according to a PSA email I got months ago: they told me that the tolerance was 1/32" and no evidence of trimming.
    Happy Thanxgiving
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    you guys rock!!!! I thank you all for your time on this holiday and put my mind to rest. Happy Thanksgiving! bob