Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My newest Morgan purchase What grade does she merit?

coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got this 1899-S (for real LOL) this week. To me it looks like she was struck with a latter die state obv die and a new rev die. So what say you the forum members.
imageimage
My Lincoln Registry
My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Comments

  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63... and she looks to have great eye appeal!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    image
    Gary
    image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345 ✭
    64, very nice, for real.image
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, the luster is very strong, just a note the marks on the cheek are very exagerated in my pics. I use a halogen bulb and it really makes those look worse than in hand.

    Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    63/64 -- tough to tell how bad hits are with pics...
    image
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks techeff, you are correct that pics often hide or exagerate flaws on a coin.

    Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    You can bank it as a for sure PQ 63 but it could go 64 anywhere and 69 at some of the "off brand" slab guys.
    looks real nice but ive seen better get clobbered at PCGS.

    Regards

    Mike R. Rogers

    ultramike@collector.org
    www.rogersrarities.com
    much rather be tried by 12 as carried by six !~!

    SHOOT FIRST-QUESTIONS L8TR...

    If its nice and you REALLY like it " buy it " sure beats laying awake wishin you had, PLUS you will never forget or FORGIVE YOURSELF for letting it get away-and remember you can always pedel it to regain most of $ . Just one of many of " buying politics I utilize.
    Besides I really lost sleep and beat myself up yo learn this simple procedure !~!
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humm seems about evenly spilt between 64 and 63. Anymore opinions.

    Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    coinbuf:
    If the pic is correct, from what I see on the obverse with the date in particular, it would seem to me, that something is wrong, maybe the picture? I would guess that 'if' PCGS were to grade it comes back as damaged, someone else may see it as a 61/62. I see a 62, based solely on the date, which seems to have been punched or possibly have been altered.

    I'm a new guy on this block- but I have at the help of my deceased relatives now become a collector of many coins- Morgans in particular, how can I download a pic of one on this site for all to see and give theur opinion?
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I would guess that 'if' PCGS were to grade it comes back as damaged, someone else may see it as a 61/62. I see a 62, based solely on the date, which seems to have been punched or possibly have been altered. >>

    MORGANHUNTER2 In order to show pictures you must first upload them to this site or to another picture hosting site. Pictures uploaded on the PCGS site(as this one is) must be under 50KB. I have to reduce the resolution to stay under that so my pics are not as sharp as I'd like. That might account for what your seeing on your monitor regarding the date.

    If you do a search you will find several threads about how to upload pics here. Also you should turn on the PM function and I'll PM the instructions to you.

    BTW welcome to the boards
    image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭
    Put me down for 64 (low end).
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    coin, I'm as dumb as a box of rocks on this silly puter, trying to find the padlock to open so I can get PM's- read the fusetalk and geez, this is nuts. I have to call the expert puter whiz (wife) but she wants to play poker instead, give me a moment, and thank you for the invite here. I have a few coins that I would like to get opinions on that are raw as well as what was recently graded by PCGS, of which I will hide the grade they gave.
    NOW IF EXPERT WILL ONLY GET UPSTAIRS AND HELP!!
  • Options
    63+ on the front 65 on the reverse. Good luck! Hope you get your 64!

    Cary in South Dakota
    Member ANA
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    64
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it looks like 64 is the most popular choice. My assesment is that she is an all-day 64 and could go 65 if the gods are in a good mood that day. Thanks for all the comments.image

    Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    hard to tell by the pic, but 64 is my choice
  • Options
    I would say a very strong 64 with a shot at 65. It depends on
    how bad the marks are on the face. Very nice coin.
    image
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoinBuf: Your Morgan looks like an MS-64 to me, and it depends on how deep those contact marks are on Miss Liberty's cheek as to whether she's a top quartile 64 with a potential shot at MS-65.

    I really like the full strike on both obverse and reverse, as well as the strong and bright mint luster on the coin, which appears to be somewhere in between satiny and Semi-PL luster.

    She's a very attractive lady with high eye appeal! image

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file