Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

larry bird 1980 topps

this issue was in a (3) panel setup, with the larry bird 'actual' rookie being card #34. the common 'setup' to get this card is also with the erving and magic rookie card. but you can also get a larry bird rookie #34 with bill cartwright and john drew. my question is why does psa only acknowledge the magic, bird, erving card for the bird registry, when his rc is available on 2 different panels? does anyone know? can you use either one, or do i have to have a magic rc also when i am adding it to the LARRY BIRD registry? thanx in advance!! ERIC

Comments

• Options
    it's the "better" of the two and in much more demand (and worth more). I think it was just a choice, tho they could add BOTH versions to be complete.
  • Options
    i know it is 'the' better card, for obvious reasons. but as far as the set is made, the cards were meant to be separated, and the bird rookie is card number 34, no matter were it was put, and with whom. i know you personally can't solve my dillema, as i tried to update my set on the registry by adding the bird, drew, cartwright, and it came back as an unpertainable card to that set. i just wish they had it were as long as card #34 was one of the 3, then it should go on the registry, with even a lower weight or something. i will have a bird rc, even if the registry doesn't think so, but this one card will probably be the reason i never get finished. thanx!! ERIC
  • Options
    email mgmt and ask if they'll add that variation to the list... they may have just overlooked a 2nd card from that set, or at least might have an explaination why it was overlooked. either way, nice cards. image
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    email mgmt and ask if they'll add that variation to the list... they may have just overlooked a 2nd card from that set, or at least might have an explaination why it was overlooked. either way, nice cards.

Good point...I don't see why PSA couldn't work this the same way they work the 500 Homerun Club rookie card set on the baseball registry. You can update any one of the four Babe Ruth's and either of the two Jimmie Foxx's in the 1933 Goudey set to be considered complete.

Steve
  • Options
    Thinking about this for a sec...

Since these cards were meant to be divided and share the same card number. Why wouldn't PSA grade a single panel, why would all three need to be together?

Just a thought.
  • Options
    My guess is the Bird/Erving TL/Magic panel is a key Bird card while the other isn't close in terms of value or popularity. Although they were made with perforations, IMO they're almost worthless if they are separated. Interestingly enough, the Bird Master Set includes all the panels from the 1980-81 Tops set.

The way I see it, you have two choices. 1) I would suggest that you ask PSA to add the Bird/Cartwright/Drew panel with an "or" stipulation (not sure if I am saying that right). If you look at the set composition for the Ty Cobb Basic Set, you will see some cards listed with "or" for the card number. You would only need one "or" the other panel to complete the set, rather than both panels. 2) You can ask that PSA add the Bird/Cartwright/Drew panel to the basic set (in which case you will need both panels to complete the set). Best of luck completing your "Larry Legend" set. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Grading the perforated cards would be akin to grading non-tabbed Red Mans or "scratched" 1980 Topps hockey cards. The fact that these cards came with a gimmick (i.e perforations, tabs, etc) that ended up "defacing" the card make the non-perforated cards more scarce and obviously valuable.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    will psa grade these if they have been separated?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Thank you everybody for your input. I don't think PSA will grade these separate, but the bottom line is i am just trying to be cheap. I am going to try and contact psa about adding an 'OR' to the bird basic registry for 1980 topps. It just comes down to his rookie card being available on 2 different 3-card panels, so EITHER one should suffice as long as his rookie card (#34) is on one of them. There is a huge $ difference between the two, and i don't need a Magic rookie, or an Erving card for that matter, for a LARRY BIRD set. Thanx!!
    ERIC