Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bust Half Rarity Ratings, Overton Errata

NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
This a link to revised rarity ratings for bust half dollars. Many have changed from the 1990 Overton 3rd Edition, a variety that was R.4 downgraded to R.3 would no longer be worth a rarity premium. This is the first PreTurban revision since 1990, and a lot of changes were made both up and down, based on auction frequency, census information, and collector knowledge. The ratings for both capped and preturbs are much more accurate than in 1990.

rarity ratings

Another source for bust half emission order, Overton errata, and other info:

bust half info

This info may have been posted before, but there was a thread about an R.4 bust half that is now R.3.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Bill
Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Comments

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The ratings for both capped and preturbs are much more accurate than in 1990. >>

totally agree, & extremely valuable info for those of you collecting these coins. if anything, i think there are a handful of caps that should have their rarity ratings lowered even a bit more.

K S

• Nysoto,

Thanks for posting this great information. A post like this is what makes the forum such a great place.

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Bill, thanks for the links.

Any comments on the 4th ed. of Overton?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Great info here! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Bill. The knowledge and insights you always offer are greatly appreciated.image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    It sure takes some of you a long time to find a thread.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any comments on the 4th ed. of Overton? >>

Baley, I have not received the book yet, but unfortunately early comments by others are not good - many errors, the new rarity ratings were not used, pictures worse than 3rd edition, inaccurate condition census on preturbs...
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file