Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error state quarter found in change!

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a neat error my daughter found in change - a Texas state quarter with a layer missing. Any idea on the value of this one? I haven't seen any up for sale yet.

image

image

Comments

  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    interesting. Looks like the counting machines ravaged that one.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭
    Copper washed I think they call it. Fred Weinburg (same name, add www and .com to search his site). usually has some in stock. Value depends on how many came from Texas with the same Obverse issue and the grade. My Maryland quarter is graded MS64, and I paid $425 for it. It's a very cool error, but the coin has been roughed up a bit. Maybe...$100?

    I'd consider keeping it for your daughter.
    Jack
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice-missing obverse clad layer!!

    FYI....Copperwash refers to improper mixing of metal alloys (I think-I know what one looks like but don't know if that is the exact definition).

    This coin was just stuck without the obverse clad layer. Nice find, worth a few hundred. I would keep it for your daughter.
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭
    Your quarter is missing the clad layer on the obv. I think this type of error is cool.

    I just got a 2004 Iowa quarter with the same error(obv).

    When the missing clad layer is on the rev it is worth more.

    By the way,I sold Wolf359 his,at a more then fair price.

    The grade of the coin does make a differents in price.

    Your coin is abit beatup,as for what it's worth,I'd give you $200. for it.

    I would get it into a slab,If I were you.

    Nice find,like Wolf said,check out Fred Weinberg's site,good luck.

    Brian
    NUMO
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570 ✭
    image
    image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Which is more valuable, a missing clad error or a copper wash? Assuming the same grade. How about a double side copper wash? Or are they all dbl side?
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Missing the clad layer non state side around $200
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Man, some people have all the luck! Sure is purty!
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is $300.00 on eBay. I would pay $200.00 in a heartbeat for as many as you got. imageimage
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I see no damage, just evidence of a weak strike caused by the thinner-than-normal planchet. I'd say it would retail for between $300 and $350.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file