Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Key date Lincolns...Good buy or overvalued?

Prices for the 1909 S vdb and the 1922 no D in XF 40 have increased in the past few months. Are the still a good buy or will the prices come crashing down.

Comments

  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I havent seen any real increase in the SVDB in the last eight or nine months. The 22-PL in XF40 has gone up a little, but I wouldnt say it has showed strong growth; especially compared to may of the early mint marked ones in Red. Overall, I would consider the SVDB a neutral buy and the 22-PL a slightly positive buy. Just my opinion.

    David
  • Options
    Well, when I buy one, the market has very likely peaked and is poised to crash right after I take possession.
    So since I sold mine a number of months ago, when no one was interested, and have not started to acquire another one yet. the market must be still going up.
    image
  • Options
    The 09-S VDB and the 1931-S prices have come down slightly the past few months. So if you are talking about an investment, I would not expect a return on these dates any time soon, unless you find a very good deal somewhere. The 22-D and higher grade(AU or better) 14-D are still rising in price.
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    I don't see the prices comming down. There is too much demand for these key dates. The real (die #2) 1922 no D is very scarce in EF40 and above. Check out the MS population!
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the 100 year anniversary about 4 years away, and the impending hype about 3 1/4 years away, I would say the future of Lincoln cents is quite rosey......Of course, a very short term is anyone's guess, at best....

    Paul
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep thinking these dates are overvalued, but then again I thought the same thing when I went ahead a purchased my MS65RB S-VDB four years ago for $1400.

    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep thinking these dates are overvalued, but then again I thought the same thing when I went ahead a purchased my MS65RB S-VDB four years ago for $1400.

    I hear you. I bought a NGC 64RD about five years ago for $800 and turned it for a quick $100 profit. Then they started heading up.... up... up... Finaly, I decided that even though they were over valued (to my mind), I'd better get one before I couldnt afford one. I bought a 65BN for just shy of $1700. I can unload it for about $3000 now. It's part of my retirement fund, though.

    David
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192 ✭
    I think key dates are fine buys as long as you buy them in the condition where they really are key dates. For example 09-s vdb and 31-s are really only key dates in circ grades. 14-d is a key date all the way until ms64, but in ms65 it is actually the S coins 16-27 that are the key dates.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I really don't see how the 09-S VDB is a key date. They're all over eBay in just about any condition you want them in. Over rated & over priced in my opinion. Right now there's 8 available in PCGS slabs & 5 in NGC slabs. Doesn't sound like the trait of a key date to me.

  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192 ✭
    Yeah, in high grades almost any other date in the set is less common, but overall I've heard a million people collect Lincoln Cents, and the mintage of the S-vdb is only 484,000! Not enough for everyone!

    Don't forget the 1 in a Segs holder on ebay. Actually it is a unique opportunity to get one that looks like an ms66 or ms67 for a bargain price. I would have had no problem keeping it for my set had I gone along with the plan to crack out all my coins, but I may keep them in the pcgs holders afterall and buy a pcgs ms65rd 09-s vdb if I sell this one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file