Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Love my new stereo microscope

I got the 10x/20x set up and find about 90% of my time on the 10x setting. Don't think I would ever have used the 30x feature. It's amazing what you can find on coins under either power. Glad I didn't look at all my coins under the scope before I bought them. Probably would have passed on half of them.

Loan Shark

Comments

  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife gave me one last year for Christmas... I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

    image

    President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Help,

    getting ready to buy one of the scopes... want to add my mavica on it to get some closeup pictures of Jefferson Nickels... any ideas which one would be the best for this type of application?

    Thanks In Advance!

    Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

    In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    The 3D effect of the coin's relief is incredible under a stereo scope. Remembering the first time I used a stereo scope to view a coin, I was blown away by how the relief popped off the surface of the planchet.

    --Andrew
    Your Coin and Currency Supply Superstore
    www.brent-krueger.com
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Steve, check out WindyPines on eBay.

    I know they seem expensive, but it's a place to start (and dream!).
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Thanks... I was actually thinking of this place...

    CoinOptics

    and fell outta my chair when I opened your link... lol

    The real question is... since I want to add my Mavica to the microscope, and CoinOptics looks like they can do that, which one would be the best possibility to get the best picture possible?

    Yes, I don't have money to burn on this item... I just want something to take pictures of the steps on my raw stuff and a good closeup of the rest of the coin.

    Here's the problem I have now... I can't get close enough to the coin.

    Ebay Item

    or it looks washed out...

    SBA Error

    Ideas are greatly appreciated!

    And Thanks!

    Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

    In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file