Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is anyone else surprised that Vargha is selling is collection?

Comments

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I'm not.

David builds sets with his hard earned money like the rest of us and when he's had enough he sells them off.I can agree with those who find the entertainment value of build and eventually selling off for whatever reason it may be they decide to. No harm and his hard work pays off when someone else gets what he has and is happy.

Hell,it would be great to keep a 40k set worth of cards and have about a hundred more just like it, but for some of us - it just doesn't work that way.

I'll tip my hat to anyone that can keep what they got,but I certainly can't lock up 40Gs at this point in life.

Ahhh...we don't live in a perfect world.

Have a great Holiday everyone!
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I have always wondered whether people make money or lose money when they sell their sets immediately after purchase.
  • Options

<< <i>I have always wondered whether people make money or lose money when they sell their sets immediately after purchase. >>

Vargha has lost money on every sale he has ever made. Just ask him.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Well, I hope he does better on this one. It is a very nice set.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    David's a great guy. I am only surprised that he has not had some sort of saracastic or "heh" type response to this thread. It's really none of our business what he is doing - at the end of the day, he's a really good guy, happy to share with the hobby, and has a hot wife to boot.

He has sold off many sets throughout the days - including, I believe 1949 Bowman PCL, 1951 Bowman, E95 and now 1934 Goudey. He is usually pretty wise with his timing (unless it is the IRS asking, and then I flip-flop my response), and he is very intelligent in the way that he sells his sets.

1934 Goudey has been on fire, it seems - and depending on when Vargha started accumulating this one - he might come out pretty well....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    I hope he does well. I wonder if he's planning to tackle another set? David?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Vargha is kind of a recluse and doesn't like to post much which is why he hasn't said anything.
    Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Dan, all joking aside if you deduct all the posts where he just says "heh" from his total he'd have about 35.
    Based on his usual pace of 87 posts a day, I have to assume he's lurking and laughing on this one.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Geez . . . I guess this is what happens when I try to live a "normal" life for a couple of hours. It's true. Ask any IRS agent around -- I have almost wiped myself out financially in every card transaction that I have ever made.

Rob's right. I'm actually "upper middle class" by demographic group. I wish that I had the coin to still own all of my cards, but I just don't. And Anthony's smart-ass comments are way off base. If you deduct posts in which I just said "heh", the actual total is much closer to the 250 range.
  • Options
    "heh"

Just thought I'd try boosting my post count! :-)

Best of luck David!
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    i'd call it 'Seahawk Rage'

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    You can tell the IRS and Mrs. Vargha you're losing money on every transaction, we know the truthimage
    Is it true you post "heh" because it reads the same way to every other dyslexic, one armed guy on the board?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Poor Vargha. The guy's just trying to sell a set. He didn't spam it here, and he's still getting raked over the coals!
    Heh!
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    heh
  • Options
    lol
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Heh

Actually, Mrs. Vargha is probably forcing this sale too. Will it be a second story and a swimming pool this time? image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    The girl knows nothing about the set or the sale would definitely be forced.
  • Options

<< <i>The girl knows nothing about the set or the sale >>

As it should be.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The girl knows nothing about the set or the sale >>

As it should be. >>

i try to keep alot of valuables "on the down low".. she likes the phrase "whats his is mine and whats mine is mine"..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>The girl knows nothing about the set or the sale would definitely be forced. >>

I like that concept - I'll give it a "heh".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is WOW, what a collection. Im sure somebody is psyched that it is for sale, from what I understand it is no small task putting that thing together. Congratulations to whoever gets a hold of it.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>Is anyone else surprised that Vargha is selling is collection? >>

Dan Rather didn't mention it, but Tom Brokaw was very startled. It seems that Peter Jennings was simply vexed...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Actually, Rather had some forged documents saying that I was selling these as part of a paternity suit. What would a one-armed, black, dysylexic, gay, midget who is a member of the Nation of Islam be doing involved in a suit like that?
  • Options
  • Options
    Let's see...you say you are upper middle class, but you managed to hide a $40k set from your wife...I think not.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>involved in a suit like that >>

I thought you HAD to wear a suit...

Hannity wasn't surprised, but Combs was...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    David ,
    I have a color scheme for you to use as your sales brochure ....

Heh
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Jeff -- When I saw that you had posted on this thread, I somehow suspected that you would say that. I definitely deserve that "zing".
  • Options
    DSOrry I just couldn't help myself ... Good luck with the sale...
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    That's truly a set of a lifetime, David. Good luck!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Nice set, Vargha, but that annoying font needs to go.

• Options
    So do annoying avatars.
    Collector of T cards and other pre war