Home Sports Talk
Options

Why Tampa Bay is still a very dangerous team......

One of the sad facts about college and pro football is
the fact that todays athletes are some of the worst
blockers and tacklers.

John Gruden is a master teacher at blocking schemes
and tackling techniques. He doesn't have to have the
greatest athletes, but he can take decent athletes
and teach them how to be excellent players.

Todays tackling techniques downright stink compared
to great players like Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, and Lee Roy Jordan.
These guys weren't big, but would PUNISH you with their
balance and drive in the tackle.

Tampa Bay is very well coached, i.e. old school, and I would
refrain from mouthing off against them. The very reason
Mike Vick does not do well against Tampa Bay is because
Tampas defense does not make the fundamental mistakes
that other poor defenses make.

Also, Tampa Bays offense had NO TALENT when they won
the Super Bowl. Brad Johnson and Keyshawn Johnson are
not Hall of Famers like Bradshaw and Swann, but John Gruden
took these average players and did great things with them.
They aren't even close to Aikman and Irvin.

I would watch out for Tampa Bay. I would also watch
out for New England. They are getting tougher each week.
I said I think Indy would make it to the Super Bowl, but NE
might wup em up if they meet them.

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    We have been killed by injuries from day 1. Galloway goes out on the first play and then Garner a few games
    later. Dudley, a key to the offense, out of the season a few games later. Alstott has been out for a few
    weeks and Kennan was a hold out.

I ask you this:

Take away your top reciever, your starting RB and FB, your starting TE and put in your 3rd string QB....how many
    games are you gonna win?

The bucs have been in all but one of the games they lost. They played Denver down to the wire and held Seattle
    to 10 points. The Rams at full power needed the refs and bad reviews to win at their place and Vick needed to
    be saved several times by the zebras.

Im expecting NO sympathy here, football is a mans sports and if yout guys can't stay healthy then they are
    worth a darn. Personally some of John's off season pickups have been complete duds. We are getting it done
    with the buc core..Joe J and Pittman on offense and an always great defense.

Of course we all know that means squat if you can't go out and win. We will and we are going to rattle some
    heads in the playoffs!

You all better watch out! Cowgirls and Giants have faded, the Vikes are only a few games ahead. No one wants
    to see the buc d in the playoffs!

I would like to say thanks this mid-season to all the real fans who have stuck by and have been here week after
    week. It has been easier for some than others to accept a butt kicking, and others just don't show up. Its easy to talk
    before the season but you gotta back it up week after week. Those who jump the wagon know who you are!

It should be a great finish!

GO BUCS

JS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bucs a possible playoff team? - Yes
    Dangerous? - No
  • Options
    I agree TB looks much better now than 10 weeks ago but...

TB is 4-6. Of their 6 remaining games, TB will be favored in 5 of them, but only 2 are easy (Carolina and New Orleans @ TB), 3 games they'll be a slight fav (@ Caro, Atl @ TB and @ Arz), and they'll be a modest dog @ SD.

The NFC East doesn't present a problem as there's only 1 playoff team, but the North and West could each have 2 teams going. If the Bucs go 9-7 (5-1 in their remaining games), that would be a tremendous accomplishment, but it still might not be enough as the Rams and Seahawks both beat the Bucs, and the Packers and Vikings could both go 10-6.

Brian
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Thats pretty hefty words coming from a fan of a team who had to rename their last two stadiums "buc field".
    We owned TO in the playoffs and then we owned McNad in the playoffs...do you really think that Pinkston and
    Mitchell are going to make the difference? LOL

According to my stats you all won't play a team with a winning record until the playoffs. You won't know what
    hit you when you finally play that game. You know if its the bucs you all are gone!

You have also been VERY lucky with injuries...remember that! Actually ask Vikes fan how that works.

JS
  • Options
    Some people may not like the truth about this post, but
    here is another fact about Tampa Bay.

When they beat Philadelphia in the playoffs on the way
    to the Super Bowl, Philly fans and players walked out of
    the stadium totally confused that they couldn't accomplish anything
    against that no-name Buc team.

The players and fans thought Philadelphia would win by at least
    a touchdown if not more. But all Tampa Bay did all night was
    totally frustrate them with great technique on defense, and
    simple blocking schemes and quick passes on offense.

As each quarter passed, the Philly fans kept waiting for
    McNabb to light it up. It never happened because Gruden
    totally outcoached the other side.

This isn't a knock against the Eagles, but a praise at how
    well John Gruden schools his players in every aspect of
    the game. Todays player wants to spend too much time
    in the weight room and autograph room instead of the
    "technique room". John Gruden keeps them in the
    "technique room" all day long. He has some of the smartest
    players in the league because they are well coached.

If Tampa Bay gets healthy, they will be very dangerous.
    I would not want to face them if they are in the playoffs.

• Options
    You guys just keep on regurgitating the past. The Bucs had a great season in 2002. Cherish those memories because the Eagles are going to be the boss now in the NFC for a loooong time, starting with this season.

Hey I'm very familiar with Gruden - he was the Eagles offensive coordinator for I think it was three seasons. Gruden is a very clever guy no doubt about it. Gruden is smarter than Andy Reid but not a better head coach. Andy Reid is definitely a better head coach than Gruden. Gruden never seems to get the full respect of his players which is essential for a head coach to have a successful long term football program. Look at all the extremely successful NFL head coaches from Lombardi to Shula, Walsh, Noll, Landry, etc. They were all disciplinarians who the players maybe didn't always like, but they deeply respected these coaches and gave it all on the field for them. I'm not saying Reid is close to that category of those guys yet, but Reid has similar traits to them. Gruden does not have these traits. So Gruden has no long term future as a head coach. Gruden is really better suited to be an offensive coordinator or possibly a GM.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Enough on Gruden already ... the Bucs were a playoff team for 4 or 5 years before he got there. A magical season happens and boom, he's a genius. They had an All-Pro D before he got there, so I think they knew how to friggin tackle.

I have heard of bunting in baseball being considered a lost art. Tackling in football a lost art????

I ain't buyin ...

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I am with 1420 sports on this issue. Of course, he helped the Raiders tackle too. Too bad he could not teach the Raiders discipline, and to learn to hit and tackle before the whistle.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I seem to recall the Raiders being absolute garbage for years before Gruden gets there, and turns them into a winner...the tuck rule aside, the raiders win that game and go to the super bowl.

Gruden is arguably one of the greatest QB coaches ever, turning players who are supposedly past their prime into the best they've ever been (read: Brad Johnson anyone? how about Rich Gannon?)

• Options
    OOOOHH, Real Dangerous, they lose to a team that is 3-7 going into this game. Now both teams are 4-7. The season is over for them, they WILL NOT make the playoffs! Go for the good draft pick Gruden!imageimage
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    [in best JS voice]

but they barely lost to the Super Bowl runners up! how many rings do the Eagles and Vikes have! the Bucs will still make the playoffs!

• Options
    If they win every game for the rest of the season, they will be 9-7, thats not very good, but perhaps just good enough to squeek in. Next week they got Atlanta, which they will probably lose, they have to play the Chargers, which they will probably lose, I'm not so sure they will be able to beat the Saint's when they play them later on this season. This team is done! I don't even think Stalin cazn come on here and say they will make the playoffs after today, this team just isn't very good, and they definately aren't dangerous!
    Culpepper to ?, only God knows at this point!
  • Options
    <<< I don't even think Stalin cazn come on here and say they will make the playoffs >>>

With the logic of JS - he'll probably say the Bucs have a chance to make the playoffs even after they get mathematically eliminated.