Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Nice Hockey Card Article in the new SMR

Im not a hockey collector, but enjoyed the article in the new SMR which was written by our own GoSoxBoSox.

It also noted that the pictures of the cards were provided by, again our own, yawie 99.

Good work guys!!!

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im not a hockey collector, but enjoyed the article in the new SMR which was written by our own GoSoxBoSox.

It also noted that the pictures of the cards were provided by, again our own, yawie 99.

Good work guys!!! >>

I got my today, great article.. I noticed that Tom Papa was the author, but didnt notice Steve provided the pics..

way to go BoSox and Yawie!
    ·p_A·
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I agree - great job guys. Now where's the guy who was responsible for the Albert Pujols article (cover story)? SMR - yellow journalism at its finest.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Too bad I haven't received an SMR in about three months. The funny thing - or is it the sad thing? - is that I really didn't give it much thought until now. I'd like to see Tom's article - not to mention the gratuitous ego stroke of seeing one's own cards pictured in the mag.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Yawie, if you want my copy, just PM me with your address. Id be happy to send you mine.

See....Cub fans can be civil too.
  • GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

This was one of the better articles I have read in the SMR for awhile. I especially liked figure 1 and 2 tracking the graded cards. I look on the online SMR for my old golf cards and check the submission numbers and print them off occasionally to see what the new submissions are grading.

Great job!

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    It's always nice when one of the "one percenters" can contribute to an otherwise mediocre (at best) publication.
  • It's always nice when one of the "one percenters" can contribute to an otherwise mediocre (at best) publication.

Play nicely. Dont want to get our supreme leader going.....heh! I think we topped 1% didnt we? I recieved 2 SMR's with in days of each other. And now I havent recieved one in 6 weeks.

james
    x
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Just curious- which of yawie's cards were shown?
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the hard copy yet, so I'm not sure, Michael, but I think I sent Tom scans of my C56 Ross, Walsh and Lalonde. The Lalonde is actually out of my possession now. I'm in the midst of trading it (a 6) to the guy with the #1 C56 set - which I think should've won vintage hockey set of the year, though I'm a little biased - in exchange for a PSA 5 Lalonde and a PSA 7 '53 Parkie Howe, which is the last card I need for that set. We're actually talking about a deal for my Walsh too, but it's one of my favorite cards and - if I may use an auction listing cliche - high-end for the grade. Still, Julius keeps tempting me with assorted '53 upgrades so anything's possible.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Excellent article! I know virtually nothing about pre war hockey cards and the article was very informative.

It's these type of collector articles that keep SMR fresh and interesting.

• the article sounded like a ipo for a a new company.
    too many stats, too much bland supply and demand
    type stuff.

there was no passion, no love of hockey, no love of
    the chase, no mention that we may lose the whole
    darn hockey season due to the greed of the owners and
    players.

those old timers should be honored; the only thing
    that stopped them from playing was the influenza pandemic
    in 1918-19. george vezina played the latter part of this
    legendary carerr w/ advanced tuberculosis.

the players from that age are more to me than a psa set
    registry stat. this article was Part 1, i hope Part
    reads less like a stock offering and shows the true
    passion of a vintage hockey collector.
    i ain't often right
    but I've never been wrong
    it seldom turns out the way
    it does in the song
    once in a while
    you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places
    if you look at it right
  • Thanks guys.

I was a bit pissed that they split the article into two parts because Part I is indeed the analytial part and Part II is indeed the tribute to the old timers. The article is no masterpiece but it would certainly read a lot better if it wasn't split into two parts. Heck ....I didn't even know it had officially been split until a reader informed me. But I appraciate your patience Vinny. Classy move on your part by taking shots before you read the entire article.

<< <i>there was no passion, no love of hockey, no love of
    the chase, no mention that we may lose the whole
    darn hockey season due to the greed of the owners and
    players. >>

Sorry you feel the article is missing these elements. I know one thing ....the fact that I wrote the article shows my passion and a love for collecting pre-war hockey. As far as the current NHL season goes ....it was indeed mentioned. However, the lockout is irrelevant to collecting pre-war hockey cards.

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Tom - you can please some of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't write a hockey article that's going to please everybody. Good work, man. I came out knowing more about what you hockey lunatics collect than when I went in!image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Don't go McSorley on him, Tom. image
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    i enjoyed reading that one.
    nice job
    Bob