Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone read Don Taxay's "Counterfeit, Misstruck, and Unofficial US Coins"?

Has anyone ever read this book? Is it an interesting read? The title seems pretty interesting. Is it more of a "story" book that gives a history of these types of coins, or is it purely a "technical" book that lists the technical aspects of counterfiet coins? Does anyone know where I can find a copy? Thanks.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    an excellent read much esoteric usa federal coinage 8information not found elsewhere a great reference you will be refering to for years if you have a copy in your library

michael
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, my extra copy is a giveaway in the YN essay contest. Do a google search, and you'll find one for about $10.
  • Options
    I was fortunate to find a copy in a used bookstore in "like new condition". Could not find those earlier publications anywhere else. You might try Amazon.com but the book is most likely out of print.
  • Options
    BTW, I also found another good read called "Detecting Counterfeit Coins" by John Devine.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Longacre I bought the copy I have in 1966 which sold for $4.50 back then.
    The chapters are as follows:
    Introduction by John J. Ford
    1 a short history of Mint techniques and terminology
    2 on the arts of counterfeiting clipping and adjusting
    3 altered coins
    4 famous forgeries of the US Mint and other eccentricities
    5 new dies from old-a postscript
    6 "pedegreed forgeries"
    7 private coins by necessity
    8 a comedy of Mint errors (and epilogue)
    There are 132 illustrations

The book is not boringly technical and is an easy and interesting read. All production dates and weights of all produced US coins is also included. Interersting coverage of old collectors and how they obtained coins from the Mint and their correspondence. Check the coin book dealers and book auctions the book was reprinted a couple of times since 1963 and copies shouldn't be that hard to come by.

Don-

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I got one for sale, $12 shiipped
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre, did you ever get a copy? What were your thoughts after reading it (if you got one)?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very good read, even if parts of it are dated.
    Heck, parts of me are dated..........
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I originally read the book at the Ft. Polk library on weekends when I was in basic training in 1970. All of Taxay's books are worth reading.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    It is a good book, bought my copy in an auction at a meeting of the local coin club many years ago.

What happened to Don Taxey is a bit of a mystery, rumored to have died years ago on a trip to India but nobody seems
    to know for sure.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is a good book, bought my copy in an auction at a meeting of the local coin club many years ago.

What happened to Don Taxey is a bit of a mystery, rumored to have died years ago on a trip to India but nobody seems
    to know for sure. >>

for an interesting read concerning this mystery, CLICK HERE
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Longacre, I just bought ANOTHER copy of this fine reference a couple of days ago from Charles Davis (one of the best numismatic book dealers) for $12 including shipping. It is an essential reference for any numismatic library. Fantastic read that, to me, is more technical than anything else.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I read it many years ago and reread parts of it occasionally. Great book!image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file