Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grades for 75 commons - help PSA9s/10s?

Help for a newbie, please!

I went through a picked out the best commons from an old 75 set I have. These 35 cards have been in sheets the past 20 years and are very mint. Is it worth is to send in these commons to PSA?

I'd expect to get 9s, but is that good enough? Are 10s next to impossible?

Thanks,

Steve
steve

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    yeah, the grades on your 1st submission will be lower than you expect.. (everybody thinks they have 9's & 10's at first).. and the 75's are a particularly tough set, due to the colored borders..

As for 9's being good enough, if all 35 cards get "9's" i'd say you've done pretty good..

as for "10's" being impossible, there have been 382 "10's" graded out of 66072 cards..

refer to this to judge your cards..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Here's what they go for on eBay...Up to you whether these prices are worth your time and expense of grading or not...PSA is running a special til the end of the month: $5 a card with no minimum for '72 and up cards.

Completed Items: 1975 PSA 9

Todd
  • Options
    Hey balco

You never mentioned if you are attempting to build the set in PSA, or are you just looking to sell 'em?

I'm attempting to put a set of '75's together in PSA 8. On my submissions, I want 8's or better.

If you have commons, most '75 Topps, at this time, in PSA 8, are selling from $3-$5.

I'd expect to get 9s, but is that good enough?

I'm not quite sure what "good enough" means, but I assume for you to make some money selling them.

Alot of 9's, in commons are going for aroung $10 - some even more.

9's are tough - good luck!

• Options
    Thanks to all.....I bought this set of 75s from a very condition sensitive dealer in 1980. I'd scan a few cards to show you all the condition of these commons, but dont know how to just yet.....Will try and figure it out.....I do think I have at least a few 10s.....appreciate the help.
    steve
  • Options
    Steve,

No offense, but be ready for disappointment if you are hoping for 10's...'75's are tough with those colored borders. It's common to see 8's that most people would think were mint if not in a holder.

Todd
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve
    If you turn on your PM and contact me, I will try to help you scan & post of pics and links if you would like.
    On the 75's - they are one of the toughest due to the color borders.
    Here is a Ryan which looks worse on hi scan than just looking at it - it will be sent to PSA as soon as I get off my dead ass.

It has strong corners but due to the borders, I give it an 8.

your friend
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Thats a sharp looking Nolan! The only "flaw" i see is on the right edge where the color changes from purple to pink.. looks like an 8 for sure..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Steve
    If you turn on your PM and contact me, I will try to help you scan & post of pics and links if you would like.
    On the 75's - they are one of the toughest due to the color borders.
    Here is a Ryan which looks worse on hi scan than just looking at it - it will be sent to PSA as soon as I get off my dead ass.

It has strong corners but due to the borders, I give it an 8.

your friend
    Mike >>

Mike - What is that black ink mark on Nolan's left shoulder? Always wondered about that.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Balco, 9s are always great results for 1975s. Prices are dropping on the common ones owing to current saturation, but they will definitely be worth grading for the foreseeable future. If you study ebay for a while you'll see which ones are most common and maybe not worth sending in even if they are 9 candidates (154 Mike Lum, 155 Jim Bibby, Milt May, Paul Lindblad, several others)

But even 8s are perfectly adequate grades. There are more cards with an overpopulation at the moment, but many are eminently saleable. If you have a #16 Frank Tanana, let's talk.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    jaybyrd - it's not a black ink mark. It's a black armband patch on the jersey - and I don't know whose death it commemorates.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Helio,
    I have the Tanana card and would be glad to swap it - unfortunately, despite great centering and 4 sharp corners, it has some hole in the middle/upper left side......Maybe a pen hole. Anyway, it's not worth diddly. Sorry.image
    steve
  • Options
    Stone193,

I am trying to PM you - but not sure if this works.....Drop me a PM or add to the thread and we can try and scan an example of the 75 cards - thanks, steve
    steve
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am trying to PM you - but not sure if this works >>

Steve
    To start, go to your profile - second button from the top right (first is customize) and scroll down till you see "allow private messages" and press the "on" radio button and then on the bottom press the "update button" - you may need this on even to send a message to someone - try that and then we will go from there. Obviously, if you want to pm a person, they will have the "Lock" which you press to pop up a message text.
    your friend
    Mike
    Mike