Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Churchman's 1939 Kings of Speed

I just picked up this set! I really like this stuff! But the big surprise was the Jesse Owens card that I didn't expect to see - thought this set was strictly aviation.

The Howard Hughs card for me is the flagship along with the Owens card.
thanx
Your friend
Mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Mike, When I won that set I knew about the Jesse Owens card but was surprised by the Hughes (I would guess its his rookie card image).

There is also a nice card of Paavo Nurmi that I have strongly considered getting graded.

I havent seen a real killer set of these yet. There are only about 3 9's graded in total and of the 118 cards graded, 75 of them have been the Owens card.

I really like sets like these because the reverses have extremely interesting information.

Nice pick up!!
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I have the Owens in PSA 7 but I am looking for the Nurmi - do you guys have any extras? I am also looking for any track and field cards from pre-1975 if you know anybody who might have some.
  • Options

<< <i>I have the Owens in PSA 7 but I am looking for the Nurmi - do you guys have any extras? I am also looking for any track and field cards from pre-1975 if you know anybody who might have some. >>

I should have one somewhere, I will have to have a look over the weekend. There are quite a few general sports issues from British Cigarette card companies, i will have a rummage and see what I can find. Was it just Americans you are looking for?

Matt
    Matt - UK based collector
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    It is a nice surprise when you get a star athlete in a set you presumed to be all non-sports. I remember how pleased I was to see the extra star cards in the Sanella set.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Hi,

I have a spare Nurmi and a spare Owens as well. I also have a few other athletics cards from Gallaher/Ogdens/Wills.
    Let me know if they can be of use to you.

Aro13 - I have sent a PM.

Matt
    Matt - UK based collector