Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 Topps Checklist / Nash / Northrup Variations

Does anyone out there know what are the real variations among the 1971 Topps checklists? I know about the #123 Checklist variations (Card # Centered and Card # on the right) and the #619 Checklist variations (Copyright and No Copyright), but my question is with regard to the other variations (e.g., Red Helmet, Orange Helmet, etc.) in PSA's database. I have the "Red Helmet" and "Orange Helmet" versions of one of the checklists and can't for the life of me see any difference in the color of the helmets or any other differences in the cards. It doesn't appear to me that these are actually legit variations, but rather differences in labeling by PSA. Is there any other distinguishing features besides the helmet colors that distinguishes these variations? Any information you have would be appreciated because I would like to complete a master set for 1971 Topps.

Also, are there any other "Blob" variations besides #265 Northrup (see picture below) and #306 Nash that anybody knows of? Are there any other variations in general that anybody knows about? If you have a graded version of the #306 Nash having the "Blob", I would be interested in buying it. I have seen it in raw form, but not in graded form yet.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Here's a list of the '71 Topps Variations I've heard about:

123 2nd Series Checklist -- "123" at bottom right (red hat)
    123 2nd Series Checklist -- "123" at bottom right (orange hat)
    123 2nd Series Checklist -- "123" in middle
    161 Coins Checklist -- Bottom of "161" below #152
    161 Coins Checklist -- "161" even with #152 and #153
    206 3rd Series Checklist -- Red hat
    206 3rd Series Checklist -- Orange hat; 1/2 the white space at top front
    265 Jim Northrup -- Black "blob" at right of photo
    265 Jim Northrup -- No "blob"
    306 Jim Nash -- Black "blob" to left of photo
    306 Jim Nash -- No "blob"
    369 4th Series Checklist -- Orange hat; line above ear
    369 4th Series Checklist -- Red hat; line above ear
    369 4th Series Checklist -- Red hat; shadlowless but with jagged line
    369 4th Series Checklist -- Orange hat; no line above ear
    619 6th Series Checklist -- Copyright; thin shade line to left on hat
    619 6th Series Checklist -- Copyright; no left side shading line
    619 6th Series Checklist -- No copyright; no hat shading

Bob
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    I've never seen the Northrup blob before. Which version is harder to find?
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    In my experience, both of the versions having the blob are harder to find. There doesn't seem to be a premium placed on either, or any of the checklist variations, so my impression of rarity may not be correct.

Mike
  • Options
    What exactly is the blob? Is it a print defect?
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    The blob is located at near the end of the hands next to one of the light poles on upper right side of the Northrup card. Technically, it is not a printing defect. I think PSA defines a printing defect as an incidental defect that happens intermittently during printing (e.g., a fisheye) and therefore only appears on some cards of a given print run. From my understanding, the blob was a defect on the picture used to produce the card and therefore is present on all cards produced for that given print run. I believe that the blob was an early production problem, that it was caught during proofing after the initial distribution, and then the blob was airbrushed out later in production.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

The Red Helmet vs Orange Helmet is a color difference very close to the color difference in your
    "Jim Northrup" scans. The one on the left his name is "Red" and the one on the right the name is in "Orange".

I have a few of the checklist variations, I'll dig them up and post scans for you.

Scott J.

• Options
    Mike,

Here are the "Red" and "Orange" variations on the #54 Checklist:

imageimage

I'll keep looking for some of the others.

Scott J.

• Options
    Mike,

Here's the Nash errors and the rare 3rd Series Orange Helmet Checklist:

imageimage

Still looking for some more checklist examples.

Scott J.

• Options
    Those 71 blobs remind me of the 81 Fleer fingers that were randomally seen on many cards.
  • Options
    Scott,

Thanks for the pictures. I am red-green color blind so that is probably why I can't see the difference between the red and orange helmet variations. lol. If you are interested in selling the Nash with the blob, let me know. It looks like it is in gradable condition and, if so, I would love to have it. I have one in my raw set; however, it is not in very good condition.

Mike