Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Congratulations JHF - new Silver Rosy FB set ranks #2!

Looks like a fabulous set - would love to see pictures some day knowing many of these are toned wondercoins from Onlyroosies and Registrycoin pedigrees.

And on a seperate note, the pops updated this week and there are now 2x 1954S MS67FB coins and 2x 1957 MS67FB coins....someone had a GOOD week! The 63P still remains the only date without a MS67FB designated coin.....

LINK
Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm...The 57-P 67FB POP went up, did th 66FB pop go down?
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Super set!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Just Having Fun with Roosies! I too can't wait to see pics.

Ken
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    "Hmmm...The 57-P 67FB POP went up, did th 66FB pop go down? "

No, The 66FB pop did not go down. It did not go down when the first one was slabbed either.
    Not a 66FB upgrade, more then likely its a 67 that got designated FB, Maybe, and then again maybe not.

Congratulations JHF on your great Roosie set. This set is an accumulation of
    several past great sets with several upgrades tossed in for good measure.
    I'm going to have to go out and make something you need just so I can have
    a shot at one (or two) of your dups for trade.....image

Fantastic set, enjoy it.

Onlyroosies
    Nick Cascio
  • Options
    Congrats on a great set, looks like I got out just in time, or it would have
    cost a small fortune to stay in the top five, best of luck in your upgrade
    search, and if I find anything I will let you know
    Tim (ex Super Silver Set)
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Great set! Congrats to Just Having Fun with Roosies!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is WOW, There are only 4 or 5 coins that are not top pops. Someone's been spending a lot of cabbage. Great set I'm just jealous. image
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    JHF - Congratulations !
  • Options
    Hello Colorfulcoins!

Yes, some of these coins are spectacularly toned. I'm in Asia and the coins are in America, but if you (or someone else) can explain to my state-side secretary how to get the coins from scans to the Registry Set listing, she'll start doing it.

You can either PM me, or write to me at iamjusthavingfun@hotmail.com

Thank you Rainbow Roosie! I think you'll like the rainbows in some of these coins. I love 'em.

And thank you, Mr. CoinTime too.

Dear Only Roosies:

As noted in the explanation to the set, the credit and congrats should go to you. This set is largely yours. Your set smashed mine. With all that I sunk into it, I only got a few upgrades to your set. And thank you, too. I'll be looking for your upgrades. Much appreciated.

Dear Tap444:

Too bad you got out. I have soooo many duplicates aching for a happy home ...

Thank you Mr. Cloud. It was fun putting together.

Dear Mr. Coinman:

I hope to nail those last four or five coins. If you run across someone with one of them, I'm definitely in the market. And yes, the cabbage does grow out here, too.

Thank you, Mr. Registry Coin. If you're who I think you are then you're the person who first got me interested in Roosies, with Mr. Wondercoin as the intermediary. You really put together a great collection.

And you had incredible foresight too; going after the full bands long before full bands were an issue.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun! And lots of it.
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations JHF on listing your great collection!!

In the end, I think you will find that your #1 set of coins consists of a fabulous mix of the old Registrycoin collection (including some upgrades that came after the first purchase and a few that may still come once all the coins are wrapped up with designation review at PCGS by year end) and the OnlyRoosie collection (indeed, when I thought of you for the OnlyRoosie collection, my personal analysis showed the collection helping you in roughly 20 or so slots out of the 48 slots)! The combined collections of Registrycoin and OnlyRoosies (and a few personal dimes I sent your way as well), result in the most spectacular collection of Roosies I have ever seen. Your set not only has truly wonderful color, but, overall, technical perfection as well. And, perhaps one day the collection might be exhibited along with RainbowRoosies' spectacular collection of colorful Roosies. That would really be a spectacular exhibition.

Congratulations again!

Wondercoin

P.S. And, of course, your new Silver Roosie will rank ALL-TIME #1 once all the coins are duly entered in the collection, including a number of coins from the Registrycoin collection at PCGS right now.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Wondercoin,
    Thanks for the plug. I'm honored just to be mentioned in the same string as this classic set!!! This accomplishment sets a killer standard for roosie competition -- maybe "the" killer standard for any MS set???????????
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    "Wondercoin, Thanks for the plug. I'm honored just to be mentioned in the same string as this classic set!!! This accomplishment sets a killer standard for roosie competition -- maybe "the" killer standard for any MS set???????????"

"Honored" and WELL DESERVING.

I agree that the collection ranks among the finest quality sets of ANY series of POST 1931 coins out there IMHO.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    OK, now to tell the truth about Roosies.

<< <i>Wondercoin, >>

Wondercoin,
    Thanks for the plug. I'm honored just to be mentioned in the same string as this classic set!!! This accomplishment sets a killer standard for roosie competition -- maybe "the" killer standard for any MS set???????????

Thank you RainbowRoosies. I couldn't wait to "correct" the rhetoric, but don't need to now. Thanks for the intro...
    All roosies collectors, and aficianados, have to acknowledge the foundation of the current ms roosie collectors and collections.
    Mitch, wondercoin was the first!
    In the early nineties, Mitch put together a unique selection of MS coins. These just happened to be roosies. In those days, Mitch could have put together an incredible selection of full strike, monster toned "anything" from the mid- 20th century on up, and would have looked like a brilliant forcaster of the future. To decide on the roosies was a coup, to say the least. How esoteric, How foward-looking. Now almost fifteen years later, things haven't changed much. I had the best, and have passed it on to JHF, but never lack the acknowledgement that Mitch was the original brains behind the roosies, fb roosies, clad roosies, toned roosies, etc. JHF-incredibly smart in your timing, contacts, abilities, it must be known that an entire group of roosie collectors have your best interests at heart, for years, and deserve your sincere acknowledgements, including those "new" roosies enthusiasts, as well as the founding fathers.
    Most sincerely,
    Steve/RC
  • Options
  • Options
    CasabrownCasabrown Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭
    OK, Ok, Ok..... We have now had our history lessons and can now appreciate the efforts of the founding fathers. image

Now, tell us rookies the secrets of your successes.

Casabrown
  • Options
    Thank you, Mr. Wondercoin!

You're the one who made it possible. First with the great Steve Heller collection which wiped out my own early efforts in the Roosies, and then adding in the OnlyRoosies collection. With the top two collections of all time in my hands, no wonder, it's headed for the best ever, eh?

And the coloring on the Roosies is one of the things that first attracted me to the coins. The obverse is rather nice, but the reverse is dead meat -- flat and dull. If it has symbolic meaning, it's eluded me.

I agree, it would be fun to display along side of Rainbow Roosie's collection. You can take my collection and set it up; the only condition (besides the usual ones of safety first, etc., etc., and so forth) is that I can attend and see the two together.

You know, for all that I've collected, I've still never been to a coin show in America? Many times in Asia, usually in Manila, but occasionally in Singapore or Hong Kong; but never in America. That would be interesting.

Dear Mr. Rainbow Roosies:

If you're really interested in the joint display Mr. Wondercoin was speaking about, why don't you discuss it direct with him? I'm not likely to be back in the states soon, but there is someone in America who can let him into my Roosie safe deposit box. So he can take the collection.

"The 'killer' standard for any MS set" is flattering, but Blay's collection of Lincoln cents surely tops this, as do my Shield and Jefferson (full step) nickel collections. All three of them are MUCH tougher sets.

Check out my Nickels. They're both open and the Shield Nickels for instance are only one coin coin (the 1870 in MS66) from "perfection." I'm keeping my fingers crossed and eyes peeled.

Hello Mr. Man of Coins and thanks for your well wishes.

And Hello Mr. Registry Coin and thank you for setting the record straight on who started the ball going on Roosies: Mr. Wondercoin! We've been dealing for years and I've never had the faintest idea.

Is he also the brains behind "full-banding?" I thought that was a marketing coup that PCGS thought up. From what you say, I wonder if it wasn't Mr. Wondercoin's idea.

Hello, Mr. Wondercoin; are you there? Are you the one who thought up full-banding? If so, congrats once again, because that's what brought the Roosies to life.

Warm regards,

Just having Fun

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are only five possible upgrades! Looks like a great set and you must be having fun putting it together.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    "Hello, Mr. Wondercoin; are you there? Are you the one who thought up full-banding? If so, congrats once again, because that's what brought the Roosies to life."

JHF - Thank you for the nice comments. image

Back in the 1990's, I had (strongly) suggested to PCGS that they consider a "Full Band" designation for the Roosies. It seemed like a natural to me. I tended to steer in the direction of 'FB" Roosies when I was putting my first set Registry together for inclusion in the 1999 Set Registry (a paperback book version at that time with no internet presence). Thereafter, I assisted Registrycoin with his great Roosie collections (white and toned) with a focus on "FB" coins as well. This is why I believe such a great number of Registrycoin's Roosies have (and will) "FB'ed" upon resubmission. Of course, at all times this "underground FB" collecting was underway, there was no "FB" adopted by PCGS.

Turning the clock up 5 or so years - PCGS finally decided to adopt the "FB" designation. To be frank - I had nothing to do with the change of policy at PCGS. Indeed, overall, at that time, I opposed
    such a change, especially in the manner it was being considered (treatment of upper bands, treatment of clads, etc) and, in fact, was adopted. And, yes, there are some facets of the policy change that proved sound (your enthusiasm for the series backs that up) and, I believe there are also some facets of the policy change that support my original concerns and objections. In any event, "FB" Roosie collecting is here to stay and, at this point, that is all that matters.

Finally - JHF - I agree that many of your classic sets are "in a different league" than your Roosies, especially from a cost basis. Heck, (3) of your shield nickels alone may probably be worth more than every Roosie you own - doubles included! And, I did temper my comment with the POST 1931 qualifier. But, I can not think of another coin series out there that casts off more RAW AND HONEST PASSION from its collectors than the Roosie series. And, what has made Roosie collecting even more wonderful is the presence of Steve, Nick and Bill as the great ambassadors for the series. I believe Nick will tell you that Steve was his "mentor" for this series and even though Nick has sold his collection, Nick remains the mentor for many new Roosie collectors to this day and a great ambassador for the series overall. There are many intangibles that make Roosie Registry collecting as GREAT as any series out there.

Wondercoin

• Options
    Passion?? You want passion??? Look at the quote below that I run with all my posts!!!!image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHF,
    You have one magnificant set of Roosevelts.

I was wondering if and when you plan on listing your clad set, which I'm under the assumption that it is also a combined collecting effort of "Onlyroosies" & "Whitefangs" sets.

I would also like to know, what you think is the future of Roosevelts? What will happen if the U.S. Mint decides to re-design the dime? Do you see an added interest? What about price increases after a design change.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dear Stooge:

I hope to have the clad dimes up within the next two days. I still don't have the eye-sight to do it myself, but Ruthai (also known as Fah), my secretary out here in Thailand, has gotten good at doing it for me. So, she'll put up the clad dimes and then the universal set, if there is one.

You ask where are the Roosies going pricewise?

Probably down a smidge over the next couple of years. I'll explain why.

On the one hand, the Roosies are attractive (at least on the front). They tone wonderfully, and of course have the picture of a popular former president. So the Roosies are an attractive coin, but they were dead in the water for many years because they were too easy. Before full-banding, you could buy a set in MS65 for pocket change.

Then PCGS -- in a great marketing coup -- started full-banding them. Again, full-banding the Roosies makes no sense to me, because full banding doesn't speak to the eye appeal of the coin, as does, say, Full Heads for the Standing Liberty Quarters.

But full-banding made the series challenging, and if there's one thing coin weinies like me love, it's a challenge. So everybody started collecting them, looking at the backs of their dimes, and professional slabbers started resubmitting huge numbers of roosies to get the full band designation..

Meanwhile, attracted by the lovely coins and the now difficult challenge of assembling a full-band set, large amounts of money started pouring in to the Roosie series, my own money included.

MS 68 dimes that didn't full band went from $5,000 to $500. But MS 67 dimes that did full band went from $250 to $5,000. That's what happens when you have a small population and a whole bunch of people trying to grab 'em up.

So the full-band Roosies have already had a big gain. The buyers have bought.

But the slabbers are still making significant numbers of new full bands of most dates and conditions, so the populations are growing steadily.

More coins and less new money sounds like a prescription for weaker prices, eh? Maybe it's time for the Roosie market to pause, retreat a little.

In a year, maybe two, the current upward trend will like resume, but I expect mild gains, not the land-office gains the series has enjoyed to date, since full-banding began.

What do you think?

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun!
  • Options
    "MS 68 dimes that didn't full band went from $5,000 to $500. But MS 67 dimes that did full band went from $250 to $5,000. That's what happens when you have a small population and a whole bunch of people trying to grab 'em up."

JHF: Best I can tell (from auction records and private sales) those NON-FB silver MS68's settled in around $1000-$1500 at the very low for "run of the mill coins" and higher for "better date" or color coins. Recently, I even heard of a very pretty non-FB silver MS68 reaching around $4,000 or so in a private deal. On the other hand, I do not recall a single MS67FB Roosie breaking the $3,000 barrier yet - but, your overall point is very well taken.

I also look forward to seeing your clad set registered. Rick has assembled a fabulous clad collection as the current #1 set and it should get very interesting after your set is listed.

Wondercoin

• Options
    Dear JHF,
    I find that I know more about the clads then I do the silvers, and I agree/disagree with some of your comments.

I think that the FB was not just a marketing ploy, but it was a very relavent course for Roosies. I for one was very hot about the idea of going to the FB, especially since I was sitting at 89% and needed the tough coins like the 82 No-P, and PCGS tinkered with calling them Full Torch.

After a few months went by I was very happy about the FB. I took a long hard look at some of my dimes and the majority of them looked like crap. I had 1 silver MS67 that actually had the bottom of the torch missing, with no bands at all.

As far as pricing, most of the easy to find Roosies are down in price, such as the 81-D, 84's, 85's, 88's, 89's, and 99-date. There are some that still have only 1-2 specimens for that particular date. 1980-P has a pop of 1 in 64FB. If 1 was made in a 67FB, it would sell for moon money!

By the way guys...hows that 1970 FB coming!? image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Hi Paul,

It looks like all attempts to make a 1970 fb coin has failed. I was looking at the pops the other day and there was an increase in the pop's but no fb's. Rick has received his coins back and none went fb. It looks like the search is still on. I will be sending my coins in after the first of the year, which I think I have a couple that will go fb. We will see!!!! Fred

JHF,
    I will be looking for some upgrades soon to my silver set, but your set is a little discouraging, now that I know that I will never be able to achieve the top spot LOL.
  • Options
    A Little Onlyroosies History

Mitch was definitely the first on the Roosie scene putting together a top PCGS
    set in the early 90's. Myself and Rainbowroosie were in the game in the late 80's.
    The difference was that we had very little interest in PCGS at the time. We
    would go head to head on just about any NGC MS68 Roosie that became
    available. Most of these showed up on Teletrade and sold for $100 - $300
    max at the time but a hefty sum for a Roosie. I started with Roosies around
    1988 and passed on any PCGS and bought only NGC, at the time that's where
    the pretties were. Over a span of about 10 years I had acquired over 40 NGC
    MS68 Roosies and many more 67's. I took a breather and wasn't involved in coins
    again until around 2001. This is about when I discovered the registry at NGC
    and saw rainbowroosies set sitting at #1. Also about the time I met Craig
    Harries (colorfulcoins) and David Schweitz, Both of whom were instrumental
    in my continuation of building upon my set. After registering my set at NGC
    and taking over the top spot by a wide margin I felt that my set got no respect.
    I didn't swing over to PCGS until just a few years ago when I discovered the
    same coin in a PCGS holder would easily sell for multiples of the coin in
    an NGC holder. What really got me to switch sides of the street was I was
    challenged to build the Finest PCGS Roosie set. At the time Steve Heller's
    set reigned as all time finest and according to the pops could not be beat.
    Steve Heller was definitely my mentor and boy did I admire his set. I proceeded
    to crack and cross and try again, and hunt down Roosies. For about a year
    These little silver discs took over my life. I spent no less the 2-3 hours a day
    hunting down Roosies, buying raw sets, submitting coins to PCGS, tracing
    the where bouts of every high grade Roosie out there. Somewhere in here
    is where I met Mitch and PCGS started FB. I think it was Richard Green and
    Bill Walser that got the ball rolling again at PCGS for the FB designation.
    This was also the time when I teamed up with Craig Harries. Craig actually
    started the PCGS set and I kind of took it over and ran with it. My set was
    really a combined effort of Craig and I working together to build the Finest
    Roosie set there could be. Without Craig that set never would have happened.
    About one year later we were done.... The set was completed one coin
    from perfection, the 1964D MS68FB. This coin was from Heller's original set
    and I knew where it was and I wasn't going to get it. All of the sudden I realized
    I was done with the silvers. I was very proud when JHF stepped in and bought
    the set and merged it with Steve Heller's set which was previously merged
    with Wondercoins set. I left Roosies for a few months until I was challenged
    to build a top clad Roosie set.....But that's another story...

JHF, Thanks for all your kind words, but its still your doing that has now created the
    finest FB Roosevelt Dime set in the world.

Wondercoin, Its you that kept tabs on all these great coins and orchestrated
    the merging of three great sets. Thank you for your passion for Roosies.

Onlyroosies
    Nick Cascio
  • Options
    Nick: Neat history!

I also started seriously collecting the Roosies in the 1980's. I would hit the bid boards in town, buy way too many mint sets (many times the sets would have already been picked over for the Frankins or 1947 Walkers but the Roosies and Wash quarters would remain "virgin" in these sets at that time), etc., etc., etc. Attending Long Beach shows in the late 1980's and early 1990's, the few of us that were doing this basically had the "pick of the litter" when it came to colorful Roosies, Wash quarters and even Jeffs. Again, Franklins were a bit tougher to pluck off because many more people were looking for them. (but readily available).

I really had no affiliation with either grading company - I would simply buy the coins and often times (most times?) simply crack them out of the holders - the coins were so cheap it hardly mattered about a holder. I would also buy NGC Roosies and Wash quarters to go along with any PCGS Roosies I might also buy (in addition to tons of raw coins).

By the mid-1990's, I had acquired mountains of raw coins, but, what to do next. I decided to contact the President of PCGS, Rick Montgomery, and ask him a favor. I had heard that dealers were "bulk grading" Morgans, Walkers, etc. Would he do a dedicated collector a favor and allow me to bulk grade Roosies so I could continue on with my idea of building the greatest Roosie set ever in PCGS holders. TO SAY THERE WAS MILD LAUGHTER WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. I actually remember Miles Standish coming out from the grading room to see who this FOOL was in the dealer lobby that wanted to bulk grade Roosie dimes. HE COULD NOT HOLD BACK HIS LAUGHTER WHEN HE MET ME in that room. I told Rick and Miles of the bright future the Roosie series would enjoy and just how tough a number of the coins were with a full strike on the reverse. THEY BASICALLY FELT SORRY FOR ME and agreed to the bulk grading of my hoards (you should have seen their faces a short time later when I bulk graded my first batch of Memorial cents - I heard them laughing all the way back to the grading room from the dealer lobby).

Minimum grade was set at MS66 (it may have been set at first for MS65 but that was an initial failure as the MS65 coins had little value) and when I would get back 50 coins of a particular date, it would generally be (49) MS66's and (1) MS67 (if not (50) MS66 only) - BUT, I WAS THRILLED TO LAND THAT POP 1 OR POP 2 MS67 Roosie, even if it meant having to figure out a way to sell off (49) MS66's in the process! In 1997, I signed on to ebay, essentially because I had tons of slabs to dispose of.

Within (2) years or so of this initial modern bulk grading, others joined in as well with bulk lots of Roosies, Lincolns, etc. Then, came bulk grading of bullion and the like. Then, PCGS saw that they were no longer grading 25,000 coins per month, but close to 100,000 coins per month, then 150,000 coins a month. I can assure you Miles is not laughing any more at the idea of bulk grading Roosies, Lincolns, etc. image

Wondercoin

• Options
    One can have "the eye", but one also needs to have "vision".
    Collecting the coins that are not wholly recognized (currently) as "collectible" or "hot", is the key to coin collecting enjoyment, that was taught to me by Wondercoin.
    This is fun to show the history of the Roosie collectors. One thing to ask in all this discussion is: Where's Danny? We can't wait to find out what will become of another hoard of ms67 roosies snapped up pre-FB, during a market lull when there weren't too many players -late '99/2000/'01 approx.
    Also, I have a copy of the '99 pcgs registry, as well as the other published years, if anyone wants a xerox of a page, or two.
  • Options
    WOW, Now that's a great story. I often wondered where all the Roosey collectors got there start. My history with Roosies does not go back that far (1998) I was an old copperhead and still love large cent. I became interested in the registry about three years ago, and slabbed Roosies( PCGS) when I went to the PCGS luncheon in Baltimore for my Ike Dollar set and the name Nick Cascio came up. It was for the all- time finest set for Roosevelt Dimes award. I hate to say it but Nick and Rick inspired me to biuld my sets. They(My Sets) still have a long way to go but I'm proud of them. I owe most of my collection to Rick and Tim, and the kindness of Nick who gave me a 1970-P to complete my clad set. Thanks for the ride guys!!!!! Fred
  • Options
    The Roosie collectors have always been a tight group, just having fun...
    ...how appropriate...image
  • Options
    Very interesting stories to say!

I got into collecting coins, back in the mid 70's when my brother David, gave me some coins from his sets. I started with an old Whitman folder and would go to the flea markets as a kid. I could by nickels and pennies with my allowance and there was an old guy there that would help me with my folder.

Then I started to go to the mall where there was a lady who started her own coin shop and had blue velvet trays with shiney nickels in them from 1938-date. I would by them and probably had some full steps, but only collected them because they were shiney.

Somewhere before high school, all of my coins were stolen and I lost instant desire to collect anything. But Occasionally I would read a magazine like CoinAge to keep up with events.

Later, I dated a girl who collected Beanie Babies and did that for a while, then baseball cards, and I for 1 day looked at stamps (OUCH!). I always LOVED coin collecting. So I went back to that.

I heard about a coin show in 1999 at a local hotel in their banquet room and found out about the up-coming Statehood Quarters. I started to collect those, just in the Government holders as Proof and Unc. sets. I later bought a subscription to coinworld and found out about NGC and PCGS. What drew me to PCGS was they had an online registry, so I decided to collect those slabs.

I actually was looking for a coin to focus on, that no-one was paying any attention too, and noticed that the Clad Roosie had only 11 sets, with 1 complete. I wanted a coin that was cheap, and plenty to find. Now I'm an Addict!

I worked my way up the Clad ranks, and wondered who "The Michigan Collection" was and was focusing on his collection as a templet for my set. All the time looking at the Silvers. then I seen "Onlyroosies" set come on with 4 ms68 Roosies, and thought WOW this guy is awesome, and sent him an e-mail telling him what I thought about his set. he replied back very kindly and sent me a scan of his infamous 1946 MS69 Roosie. I never thought in a million years that coins could look like that. Hell, I used to dip my toned Morgans ALL THE TIME!!! For some reason, I hought that a coin should be blast white, and still do. Don't ask why.

Then came the FULL BANDS!

I have met several collectors along the way, including Mark Rush, Keith LaBrozzi, Nick Cascio, Datentype and Wondercoin just to name a few.

Thanks to all of you, as it has been fun.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    A final thought. When I decided to seriously pursue the Roosie series, back in the 1980’s, the genesis of the decision was based upon my recognition that I could NEVER build the GREATEST set of some of the other coin series I enjoyed. For example, I had been attending numerous Superior auctions around the time and spending a few dollars here and there (I watched the Jerry Buss 1913 nickel being auctioned off in one auction, got to meet Buddy Ebsen at another auction, etc). I lusted for the 1913 nickel and even the great Morgan Dollars in finest known grade. But, I was working as a young associate in a law firm and barely clearing enough funds to maintain a (1) bedroom condo I was fortunate enough to purchase around the time. A friend who was watching me “flounder” around buying oddball coins with basically no direction opined that it would probably be better to BE THE VERY BEST IN SOMETHING WITH GREAT POTENTIAL rather than a mediocre collector in many areas. (as I had been aiming to be). The suggestion made perfect sense to me and the Mint State Roosies and the Washington quarters became “natural” series for me to concentrate on as they were TOTALLY OUT OF FAVOR at the time and seemed to be wonderful series of coins with great potential.

The concept of building the “very best collection of some series” carried forward in my decision to focus on the Mint State Jefferson nickel series a bit later and even Mint State Kennedy Half Dollars. Now, of course, having the best of “anything” is not the concept (e.g. - having the greatest collection of a performer’s 8 track tapes from the 1980’s might not turn out to be so impressive). The concept is having the BEST OF SOMETHING WITH GREAT POTENTIAL. Herein lies the challenge - carefully selecting such a coin series. The silver Roosies and Washington Quarters appeared to be “naturals” to me 15-20 years ago. And, it is still very enjoyable to identify a coin series today with great potential and work towards building the best set possible. Sometimes you turn out wrong and the coins do not achieve the potential you expected, but I still personally like the concept after these latest (20) past years of coin collecting.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    What a GREAT post from everyone involved..........all these wonderful dime guys are a big part of why this Registry Forum stays funs!!!!
    Craig
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to a nice FB Roosevelt dime set!
    Does anyone here have any info about, "The Full Straps Roosevelt Dime Club" that was formed back in 1981?
    I don't know thing one about it other from what I've recently read about it. The club consisted of some 150 members and was headed by collector Steven Ritter out of Maryland. I imagine a few of those early birds had some super dimes! Anyone hear of them?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I have purchased coins directly or indirectly from many of you:

onlyroosies: Your 1951 10c NGC MS-68FT* a wowser.
    wonderfcoins: Your MS-69 cent, another wowser.
    colorfucoins: Mcrimmon sold me that 1952 US Treasury 1/2 length 25c obw roll. Still unopened.
    registrycoins: You are the best! Plans moving forward slowly on the museum for the WTC in New York City.

I am no more than a type collector so I visit your roosie dime discussions only once in a while. But in my dealings with all of you and the other posters, I have found you guys first rate collectors and human beings!

Now my story about how roosevelt dimes helped create one of the greatest 20th century dime rairites:

The short story of it:

In 1944 in the tail end of the year, US Mint officials in Philly, had already begun to reuse old reverse 10c dies in an effort to save time and effort as they were cranking out enormous quantities of the dimes since the eastern US economy was booming. They also began to lower the pressure of the minting presses to extend the life of the dies as they were very shorthanded staff wise. When Roosevelt passed away in April 1945, US Mint officials were already at work readying for a new "March of Dimes honoring Roosevelt." There was no time to prepare fresh dies for the 1945 dime since it was already understood it was going to be phased out by 1946. So they continued to use lower pressure in the minting of the Philly dimes. Also by April 1945, the Europe War was already won and US soldiers were streaming home, mostly to the east coast. The east coast economy was now overheating and the US Mint could not keep up with demand for the dimes. The Denver and SF Mints did not see as strong a demand, YET.

In interviews with a former employee of the US Mint (Philly), US Mint officials were determined to make the 1946 Roosie dime slook as nice as possible and jacked up the pressure as high as possible. In my interview with this retired employee, the 1946 dimes were being minted concurrently along with the 1945 merc dimes in late 1945 in order to have ample supplies of the new dimes in 1946. I cannot confirm this.

As a result of all the distractions, the US Philadelphia ended up minting precious few FB 1945 dimes which has become an incredible condition rarity.

Then this was followed by one of the nicest struck coin, the 1946 roosevelt dime!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    This was/is a great read for those of you who havn't seen it.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Gosh, Stooge: This gave me a start when I first saw it. I was reading that I had registered a new Silver Roosie set in FB?

Yikes. Somebody recently hi-jacked my name for the PCGS coin investor contest and now somebody was hi-jacking my name to register a new set of Roosies? But when I figured out what was going on, I sat down to read it all and yes, it was a great thread with lots of fascinating history for Roosie fans like you and me. I especially enjoyed the stories of how Mitch and you got started in the Roosies.

Looking forward, there's one point I would like to update. I had said I figured that the fervor from full banding had pretty much spent itself so the Roosies would come down a tad in price over the next few years. I certainly haven't been following the pricing the way I used to, but my sense is that the Roosies have come down. Am I right?

And if I am, I want to say that now I expect them to turn up a bit in price because I see signs of interest perking up a bit for the Roosies. They're an interesting series ... they tone beautifully ... they feature an extremely popular president, and they're a very accessible series because they're so cheap.

By comparison, the Mercury dimes are insanely over-priced. They're great coins, with many legitimate scarcities ... but the prices are wild. Ditto for the Standing Liberty Quarters.

Look at it this way: a 1916 Liberty Standing Quarter in AU50 is common. There are zoodles of them and zoodles more in higher grades. But the 1916 in AU 50 is worth far more than a typical Roosie in MS67 FB, say pop 5/0.

I'm so glad I filled all the holes in the SLQ collection before the prices went berserk. Almost makes me want to sell me SLQ's -- but doesn't quite. By contrast, the Roosies are so cheap, there's no incentive for any the holders of the top collections to sell.

Enjoy!

Just Having Fun

• Options
    So, what has changed since I wrote about the Roosies on this thread a few years ago? Well, I suggested that just (3) of JHF's Shield Nickels would probably be worth more than his entire collection (including all doubles) of Roosie Dimes combined. Today -just (1) of JHF's Shield Nickels is worth more!! image

Making the Roosies even more interesting than ever?

Wondercoin
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!!! Congrates!!!

Collecting all dimes I will have to settle for my 66.04 set.

I love to read the threads that you roosie specialest get going.

Again very nice set. Hope you find the few coins to make the perfect score.

Jon
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a great read.And Im not a rosy guyimage

Al
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Quite the blast from the past......image
    Craig
  • Options
    Talk about a blast from the past. Check this old thread out
  • Options
    I remember when you added your sets Nick. It was simply rediculous how you made mincemeat of every set listed.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.