Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone seen these auctions from Sotheby's?

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Sotheby's could use a new writer, I think.

Here's what they say about a 1956 Whitey Ford card, "A flawless card from the season in which he achieved one of the greatest individual feats in baseball history, the only perfect game thrown in World Series competition."

Really? Guess all those Don Larsen autographs just lost about 90% of their value.

1956 Whitey Ford PSA 9

Hopefully the same guy didn't write this description

Don Larsen Auto Ball
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I chuckled at that Ford description as well - but, good lord, their buyer does fine. What a fabulous array of 9s!image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I think this Sothesby/Sports Cards Plus auction will do more poorly than if it were exclusively Sports Cards Plus.

1) The descriptions for many of the lots are so brief as if it were not worth Sotheby's time to do writeups about sports items.

2) There is no internet bidding which will preclude many potential customers from participating.

3) There is sales tax and use tax for just about every single state, instead of just California. Bidders will obviously have to take this higher cost into account.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I went to the Beverly Hills reception and exhibition of highlights from that auction. The cards are almost an afterthought. The Babe Ruth collection boggles the mind - multiple baseballs, including at least one team signed ball and a Ruth/Gehrig ball, Ruth's robe, the bat he used for the first HR ever at Yankee Stadium, and numerous other signed and other items. Add in Mickey Mantle's first HR ball, home plate from Yankee Stadium (used for 50 years), several fabulous items from the Pee Wee Reese estate (including Jackie Robinson's autobiography personally dedicated to Pee Wee), and the Wagner, Plank, Cracker Jack HOFers, '33 and '34 Goudey HOFers, and '52 Topps PSA 8 set pale by comparison.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    In the recent Memory Lane Buried Treasure Auction, they had a 1933 Goudey Ruth #144 in Mint 9. It's a rare card and they claimed the other 9's were stored away in high end collections, never to see the light of day.

Well, what do you know.....another #144 Mint 9 Ruth up for auction at Sothebys a few weeks later.

1933 Goudey Ruth Mint 9
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Nick,

Was the Beverly Hills reception worth your time? I just got the invitation for the New York reception. Since the cards aren't representated to a great extent, were the food and drinks at least good? I might just take a ride. What do you think?
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    jay - since I had nothing planned that evening, I found it to be worthwhile. I'm the type who looks at memorabilia displays at major card shows, and this was better than any I've seen at a show.

The food was good (finger foods and small desserts), and there was a host bar with decent wines. I expect something similar to be offered at the NY reception.

I would recommend taking one or more guests who are baseball fans - they will likely appreciate it greatly (even kids).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Nick,

thanks