Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

For the rare oddball collectors... especially Yaz & Kaline...

I did a little slumming this weekend at a local card show... I know some of you collect rare oddball items, especially of popular players, so, I figured I would share my big find with you, as many people have probably never seen one of these before.

A dealer who I have seen at many local shows, pulled out something that he had never before offered... a prestine 1968 Topps Action Stickers fully-intact card (which is three pieces held together by perforations). One of Topps failed test issues, the guy said he put them away in the home-made holder (since it's over 15 inches from top to bottom) over 20 years ago. I have no idea how many of these exist, but there can't be too many that are still together.

Then, my hunt for Venezuelan Topps cards turned out to be a winner, as I found several including a very nice 1966 Whitey Ford that should be a PSA 7. Also managed to find 64 A.L. Bombers, 64 Kaline, and 3 1967 commons in great shape.

And the final find of the day... a 1961 Chemstrand Kaline iron-on patch. Still in the original wrapper (which was issued unsealed), I was able to remove it easily, and it's perfect. I would not be the least bit suprised with a PSA 10 on it.

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Holy Poop! Can I move near you so I can go to the same card shows? Around here I'd be lucky to come away with a rare 1968 Topps Game card and maybe one or two "foreign" cards from say Canada ('91 OPC Premiere). image

If you don't mind me asking, how much did some of these beauties set you back?

Bob
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Nice haul! That 15" sticker strip is awesome. (It only needs Johnny Bench on it to be perfect)

What happened to the those '67 Venezuelans? The borders are almost gone.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    The 67 Venezuelans aren't missing their borders, that's how they were issued. They are slightly smaller than the standard issue cards. They look weird though the first time you see them.

As far as how much things cost...

I paid $200 for the action stickers sheet, $170 for all the Venezuelans combined, and $75 for the Kaline patch.

• Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Superb! That must have been one heckuva local show. I never see that kind of stuff at the small shows. Curious to know what it cost you for the lot. (Bet it's less than if you'd picked them up on eBay.)

John... the '67 VZs were trimmed quite a bit smaller than the Topps cards for some reason that year... overall, the '67s are probably the worst looking VZs of the '60s.
  • Options

<< <i>John... the '67 VZs were trimmed quite a bit smaller than the Topps cards for some reason that year... overall, the '67s are probably the worst looking VZs of the '60s. >>

'67 was the only 1960's year in which another distributor/manufacturer was used to issue cards in Venezuela. It's actually my favorite year among '59-'60-'62-'64-'66-'67 and '68 because they are the most distinguishable from that of the Topps USA versions.

...Nice grab, especially at a local show. I went to one yesterday in the NW, the most obsucre item was some '64 Topps Standups (top dollar of course.)
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin