Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know much about encased postage stamps?

What do you think of this one? Is it way over priced? ENCASED POSTAGE STAMP (circa 1862-3). J. Gault. 5 Cents. Plain frame. HB 131; EP 78; S. 96. The stamp is bold, the mica is clear and the case is sound. Choice VF. $425.

Photo album

Comments

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    I don't know that much about encased postage but I remember that 'Gaults' are the most common. Probably the 2 or 3 cent issue is most common. I'm not sure of value.....
    I have always been intrigued by these things, but have never owned one.....

Paul
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Encased postage are neat pieces of history and although I don't collect these I bought an Ayers Carhartic Pills of Massachucetts some years ago as a go along with my Civil War token collection. These were made with either advertising on them or plain. The novelty of it being a coin stamp and a token makes these pieces interesting. The denominations with the higher stamp values are scarcer. They were produced with stamp values from one to ninety cents. The one and two cent stamps being commoner. The mica condition and brightness of the stamp and an a original uncleaned case are considerations when buying. Some cases had a light plating of tin applied to the case which resembled silver. This thin plating wore off very easily in circulation and any cases with partial or full silvering carry a premium. The window that covered the stamp being a very thin sliver of mica that might be found today in such conditions as crazed clouded cracked or sometimes missing entirely. Like coins the better the state of preservation for case and mica the more the value. Pricing these is not as easy as pricing coins. I am not up to date on the values of an average piece but the price does not seem to be outrageous. From your discription the piece sounds good. The photo is kinda small to make a real good judgement but it does appear to be nice.

Edited to say Duuuuh... I just realized I could blow up the image and it does look pretty good. The mica looks clear case looks unpolished. Interesting dark stamp. image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff. Wish I knew more about them.

Tom
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like encased postage stamps. I don't collect them, but I always pause for a closer look whenever I see one. Personally, this one looks to be in exceptionally nice condition. The mica is almost invisible and the case is in great shape.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice information there Gemini. An enjoyable read .....

Paul
  • Options
    Thanks for all the information.image
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Current Scott catalog value is $350 for the regular frame (not ribbed). Usually at regular stamp auctions this would bring in the $250-300 range plus commission. It looks like a nice example, but not a spectacular one that would bring that amount.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    Lou, thanks for the pricing information.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Found this on a local shop's bid board for $150, Still had the Stack's insert and I found that it sold for $300
    a few months earlier. Guy had some financial problems.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    To think I threw away a childhood stamp collection, and a baseball card collection. What the heck was I thinking?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    There are a great many well made fakes out there in the world of encased postage stamps. Buyer beware. I would not buy anything in
    this field without extensive study beforehand. Bank Note Reporter had an interesting article about the fakes and how to spot them not long ago. Many people are fooled by them. Replacing the original mica and case and trying to make them look old is the centerpoint of the funny business going on here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file