Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Collector's Showcase...Another Winner for PSA...

I've gotta say, they hit a homerun with me on this one! The options are limitless...just great! I'd love to see the sets people come up with. If they'd really like to go yard, they should allow other companies cards providing there is a scan of the card included...just a thought. I added a fun little group of cards that I will add to each week as time permits. I call it "Apostle's Key Cards of the 80's". An overproduced and overlooked decade that spawned some really great-looking cards! I love the Chicago Bears collection on there as well. Some really cool stuff. I wish people would use some imagination with it instead of posting off-grade Will Clark XRC's in quantity, but to each his own, I guess. I guess that makes me a card-snob. I can live with that! I look forward to seeing some of the gems you guys can dig up and put some theme to 'em. My next set is "post-war lead-off hitters" and shortly thereafter "cards with catching poses" ie: '76 Bench, 86 Pena, etc. Here's a chest bump for PSA!

dgf

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i didnt realize what the collectors showcase was.. its great.. i'll probably come up with something to add.. as for now, i just enjoyed reading this guys comments.. heh..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
  • Options
    << Here's a chest bump for PSA! >>

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    What the heck are "Magic-Gathering" cards?
  • Options
    Vargha- Magic: the Gathering is a collectible card game, that is sort of a cross between the card game War and Dungeons and Dragons. Generally, two players build decks consisting of mana (energy used to cast spells or conjure creatures), as well as spells, creatures and other magical forces. Each player starts out with 20 life points, and whoever loses all their life points 1st loses. Obviously that was a major simplification, but you get the point.
  • Options
    beaker,
    You officially made yourself ineligible to date a cheerleader with that explanation image

dgf
  • Options
    David,
    Another "magic-gathering" in relation to cards would be Guy Berenna's adding of mystery cards to his set that he doesn't own to try to win a registry award. Other magic-gatherings include but are not limited to...

An Orlando basketball game.
    A family reunion at Earvin Johnson's house.
    The toothpaste foam that gathers around the drain after brushing.

All of these would qualify as magical gatherings.

dgf
  • Options
    David,
    Most importantly, Magic the Gathering, is a card strategy game. Don't know a darn thing about it but I know when I see a 20 sumpthin' sitting at a Hold' em table and doing well, 95% of the time they will tell you that they starting "playing cards" with that game and that the strategies are comparable to tournament Hold 'em.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    My stepson is really into Magic/Yugioh cards and participates in a local tournament every Saturday at a card shop. What I find amusing about all of this is that you have these kids (and adults) putting values on cards solely on their face value and strategic importance - not on condition or what a price guide says or an ID on a plastic slab.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Hey Buccaneer, Yeah, these kids today don't know anything...image
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>David,
    Most importantly, Magic the Gathering, is a card strategy game. Don't know a darn thing about it but I know when I see a 20 sumpthin' sitting at a Hold' em table and doing well, 95% of the time they will tell you that they starting "playing cards" with that game and that the strategies are comparable to tournament Hold 'em.
    Fuzz >>

Fuzz-

You are correct. 3 out of top 14 players at the 2004 World Series of Poker were former Magic the Gathering players...including the Swede who would yell "yaaaaa". The 2nd place finisher David Williams won $3.5 million for 2nd place was one of the top Magic players. Funny thing is that he was banned from Magic for a year for alleged "game manipulation" about 4 years ago. Thomas "Thunder" Keller is another former Magic player who is now a professional poker player (and a WSOP bracelet winner to boot). Keller was well known in the Arizona poker circles and has since moved to Vegas.

Magic is more complex game but the experience w/ general game theory, probabilities, and reading your opponent translates very well to poker. There are a good number of younger players who have "graduated" to poker over the past 5 years where more $$$ can be made. Much can be said for backgammon players as well.

John
  • Options
    John,
    I have played against Keller before he moved and numerous others tht have a similar background which is where I picked up the info originally. I saw the WSOP as well and the younger guys did very well this year. I attribute it not to game, which I am sure helps, but more to the competitiveness these guys have and the stamina. Older folks like me prefer the smaller and faster tournaments where it ends in 3 or 4 hours. Setiing done for 12+ hours a day for several days in a row to play seems to require both youth and a competitive streak. But where the heck are they getting the buy-in's ? When I play here, those last few guys all seem to be in their 40's and 50's. Most of the young guys can't control the aggression well enough to last.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    huh? Where the hell am I???

dgf
  • Options
    I just added my Jack Clark set to the showcase. I added a couple of cards and will add more next week. Of course, any help is always appreciated. I need a strong 81 Donruss, 84 Topps, and 85 Donruss. It would be great if other guys would post player sets or sub-sets in the showcase. It's like an on-line card show. I'd love to see the odd-ball players you guys collect and the reasons behind it. Thanks!

dgf
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    dgf-

Please link to your set.
  • Options
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I had been waiting to get his 1974 rookie card (only 2 of which have appeared on ebay in the past year?), but now I don't have to wait for PSA to add a this long-awaited player set. Check out my Bake McBride set. If anyone has any other PSA-graded Bake cards, 8, 9 or 10, LMK.

The only bummer with the showcase is that it won't put them cards in chronological and alpha order automatically. Adding new cards will require some rearranging.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    helionaut,
    NO WAY! That set is too cool to not have photos! Fire up the scanner and lets get seein' some Bake! Who's fro was cooler: Nino Espinosa, Jose Cardenal, or Bake McBride? I also agree about the adding of cards. That is an issue with the showcase. Your set is EXACTLY why I love to browse through the showcase. I find sets like yours far more interesting. We all know who number 311 is in 1952 topps and we all know who the guys are who can afford such a card. I like the showcase because it truly reflects collector interest. Mere dollars can't conjure real interest unless you are a very one-dimensional, shallow, lonely person...sounds like one of the posters around here...

Anyway, cool set in the spirit of what I'd like PSA to come to represent. I can help you with a Bake or two for sure. I know I have a spare MINT 82 topps. Email me your address and give me a week or so and I'll dig one out of my sleeved vending stuff.

dgf