Home Q & A Forum
Options

What the grading scale really needs...

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
Good evening David:

Thanks again for taking time to answer questions. I barrowed the message title from a post made on Nov 9th by MrEureka. He suggested that Choice and Gem could be used to better define the state of preservation for circulated coins. I think MrEureka has a great idea here. For example, a EF40 or 45 coin could be further distinguished from run of the mill, enhanced coins that are not quality for the grade by assigning a choice or gem designation for those original coins that should be recognized for what they really are. Would PCGS consider this? Thanks for the consideration... and thanks to MrEureka for the suggestion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

I think this is a variation of the PQ idea...and I have always thought that two things make this unworkable...

First...I think is about as precise as it can get...maybe even too precise.

Second...beauty, to a certain extent, is in the eye of the beholder. Witness how some people think motled brown toning is "original, attractive patina" and some people think that kind of toning is birdsh*t.

Thanks,

David
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

A thought provoking question from the past... Worthy of consideration or just a by product of birdseed?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020 6:29AM

o:) Best to leave sleeping dogs alone.