Home Sports Talk

Yahoo Poll: Question: Is Barry Bonds the best player ever?

Comments

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    How can you be the best player of all time when you aren't even the best hitter of all time?

JS

• << <i>Poll results >>

Two words regarding this poll: "Availability Bias."

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Good one Snowball - I believe that the opinions on this forum are in line with the poll. Of course, the minority who think he is the greatest of all time repeatedly post their opinions on the topic, so it may appear to be skewed higher in his favor, but it's not. And I think those witholding basis "roids" are making a statement by not voting him as such. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Babe Ruth is the greatest baseball player ever - period
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Bonds the best player ever? No.
  • What no class said.

Babe Ruth will ALWAYS be the greatest
    player ever. No one will ever touch him.

• <<How can you be the best player of all time when you aren't even the best hitter of all time?

JS>>

Not sure what one has to do with the other but Willie Mays has my vote and he's not the best hitter of all time either. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • To add to my statement that Babe Ruth was the best - please understand that before he became Babe Ruth the homerun king (oh btw, he also has a lifetime avg .342) he was already the Greg Maddux of his generation as a pitcher!

Ruth also had a dominance that for Bonds to match, Bonds would have to hit 120 HRs and raise the all-time HR record to 1113 to compare and his batting average would have to raise by 41 points all-time.

To quote Kevin, "can we all agree that" ruth was the best ever - period

• << <i>How can you be the best player of all time when you aren't even the best hitter of all time?

JS >>

or won a world series image

imageimage

• << <i>To add to my statement that Babe Ruth was the best - please understand that before he became Babe Ruth the homerun king (oh btw, he also has a lifetime avg .342) he was already the Greg Maddux of his generation as a pitcher!

Ruth also had a dominance that for Bonds to match, Bonds would have to hit 120 HRs and raise the all-time HR record to 1113 to compare and his batting average would have to raise by 41 points all-time.

To quote Kevin, "can we all agree that" ruth was the best ever - period >>

Ruth never hit against Satchel Page or other black players...
    so we will never REALLY know if he
    was as great as he "seemed" to be.

think about it....
    If Blacks were not allowed to play now,
    who would be the greatest player in
    the game today?
    It is not a fair question...
    and that is the point.

imageimage
  • I'm sure one pitcher (or 10) would've completely changed Ruth's numbers. /sarcasm

4000000 displaced Iraqi refugees * 655000 Iraqi deaths *
    4047 dead servicemen * 27104 wounded servicemen *
    Billions of dollars wasted ....

• << <i>I'm sure one pitcher (or 10) would've completely changed Ruth's numbers. /sarcasm >>

never said that.
    and no, one player would not have.

but if fact is, we will never REALLY know
    what he would have been able to do
    had he played against black players that
    were banned from playing then.

do not kid yourself into thinking it would
    have changed nothing.
    imageimage
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Agreed that all discussions of the greatest "player" ever should start and end with Babe Ruth. The fact that he could be in the Hall of Fame as either a pitcher or hitter speaks to his greatness. It is after him where it becomes interesting.

Perhaps the only valid argument against Ruth is that he did not play against all of the best players of his era. However, if you put in the best players from the Negro Leagues Ruth would have still posted similar numbers, or maybe better if there had been more teams and hence more second tier pitchers. His dominance however, might not have been so great as some negro league stars would have posted great numbers as well. While I do not know for certain, it seems that there were far greater position players than pitchers in the Negro Leagues.

Leaving Ruth out of the mix a valid case can be made for Bonds, depending on how you want to manipulate statistics and how much empashis is placed on baserunning, defense and intangibles.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Agreed on Ruth was the best of all time! Bond's could only hope to wipe Ruth's behind.

aconte
  • VERY simple answer: NO
  • What is funny is that EVERY year after Bonds wins the MVP or hits another homerun, we are always talking about this issue. I said it before and I will say it again, why don't we WAIT UNTIL BOND'S career is over and THEN start debating since we will have both sets of final statistics to work with? This makes much more sense.

With that said, Bonds could hot 200 homers and bat .400 next year and he STILL will not be considered better than Ruth by baseball historians (black AND white historians for all those who think this is based on Bond's skin color). Sure, all the people around here who have Barry Bonds baseball cards will say he is better, they have a vested interest to convince everyone he is the greatest, but historians and the sports press no better. When the smoke clear Ruth will still be considered the best, it won't even be close.

And this whole BACLO steroid-supplement-Bonds connection will be on everyone's minds forever when they discuss this matter. Bonds brought that on himself.