Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Maundy Set Pictures - (Warning to Dial-uppers!)

Sorry about the fuzzy pictures - best I can do so far

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
Newmismatist

Comments

• Options
    Oww i like the Geo III one best.

Now this might sound like a stupid question, but are the boxes original? (i'm not doubting the Victorian plus ones i any way), but i'd be interested to know if the 1800 box is contemporary?

If so there's nothing like an 18th century box full of coins is there?
  • Options
    My guess is the box was made later for the coins. I think that may be true of all the boxes because the coins were "given away" without boxes and then the receipients would sell them to the local coin dealers (Spink being the most prominent) My guess is that Spink (or the other coin sellers) then had boxes made up for the coins and they sold them to the collectors. Here's the outside of the 1800 box:

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    My dial up is cursing me right now...

Anyhow of interest to you;

As far as i am aware Maundy money was distibuted in two ways (up until about 1909 ish?).

Firstly some was given out by representatives (and later the monarch) to recipients, usually in maundy bags.

Secondly the remaining was available at banks to be bought a probably face value (maybe just over) and these came in boxes.

The rectangular boxes were later replaced by some of the octagonal boxes you have shown.

So i think the later boxes are contemporary to the coins. I didn't know about the 18th century one but as you say the Spinks bit makes you think maybe not.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    That 1854 set looks to be a stunner.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That's exactly what I was thinking, Wybrit!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>tripod...tripod.... >>

And have a drink too! image

Ditto on the 1854 set. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders