Options
Bay State Coin Show - LIVE Update From the C4 Convention (w/ pics)
As of the time of this post, I am still sitting at my bourse table, even though there are few (if any) collectors walking the floor. The show promoter allows antique dealers to occupy vacant tables on Sunday, so the show today looks more like a flea market than it does a coin show.
I would have posted this sooner, but it was wall-to-wall business from Thursday through Saturday evening. There was much more traffic here this year than last. That's a good thing. Sales were up as a result. Our table was in the C4 section (Colonial Coin Collectors Club), since we are members of that fine organization. Early American material was the hot seller for us, although we did sell a few Mercs and Barbers. Overall, it was a great selling show for us.
The C4 auction on Saturday was a good time. We picked up about 15 nice lots of collector level colonial coins. Some areas seemed strong and others seemed weak. For example, the St. Patricks pieces seemed to going for a lot more than last year, although the New Jersey coppers seemed ridiculously low. I missed a couple of lots by accident and that really is bothering me. For example, I could have purchased a nice NJ copper that came with the original 1907 Chapman envelope for cheap. I just wasn't paying attention and missed it. Dang!
We saw very few forum members at this show. I noticed Pistareen walking the floor, although I did not have a chance to say hi. I did spend a few minutes chatting with CCU (colonial coin union). He is always a pleasure to speak with and informative. I spent a few minutes conversing with Julian Leidman, who is a forum member here. He is very knowledgeable about anything numismatic. He also has some amazing coins that are museum quality.
I snapped a few pics at the show, but it is not possible to get one image of the entire bourse, as the show is technically in 4 different rooms/areas. The show is on the sixth floor of the Raddison in downtown Boston, so it is not your typical coin show setting. We had a light snow shower on Friday, but it did not slow the show traffic. That's about it. I had better start packing as I have a 960 mile drive back to Michigan. It would be a shorter drive if I could go through Canada, but it is my understanding that it is illegal to transport foreign currency accross the border and confiscation is possible. I don't want to take that chance. Feel free to ask questions, although I probably won't answer until Monday. Thanks, Dennis

View from my hotel window (8 floors directly above the coin show) - snowy Friday evening.

A view of the bourse in the C4 area of the show Friday afternoon (after most dealers closed early).

View from my room Sunday morning. At least I will have nice weather for the drive home!

View of the bourse on Sunday - coin show transformed to a flea market.
www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!
Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
0
Comments
<< <i>Any chow-da with your coins? >>
As a matter of fact there was, at Legal Seafood across the street from the Radisson. They claim that this is the chowder served at every Presidential inauguration, which must indicate that it is very, very tasty.
Forgot to mention that I also met BigD5 at the show. Very nice guy! Sorry that I did not have a chance to stop by his table to look at coins, but I was just too busy. In fact, I had better log off and start packing for that long drive.
PS - I never left the hotel this year. Ate room service at night and worked on coins (attributing new pieces, holdering coins, etc.). Therefore I did not have a chance to eat at Legal Sea Food, but I did have the hotel's version of clam chowder, which was very good.
Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
Check out the Southern Gold Society
<< <i>
<< <i>Any chow-da with your coins? >>
As a matter of fact there was, at Legal Seafood across the street from the Radisson. They claim that this is the chowder served at every Presidential inauguration, which must indicate that it is very, very tasty. >>
I remember when I was last at that Legal Seafood (and I do mean that one). I had chicken.
njcc
K S