Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Having Trouble Grading Buffalo's? Buffalo Nickel Grading Set; Poor through MS65 (Small and Large P

I visited the coin show in the Tacoma dome today just to browse and got the itch to put together a grading set of buffalo nickels. I only had about 90 bucks on me and figured it would get the most fun for my buck. This would also be a great bonding experience with your children I know you are trying to get into coins. image

I imaged them to post them on the boards for a good reference and learning experience. I made good friends with a guy (forgot his name, sorry. I'm bad at that. image ) but we rummaged through many of his buffalo nickels and came up with a good grading set.

Ron, don't worry. I'm still working on that barber dime grading set. I picked up some there but had problems finding a good array of conditions.

Ok, here it is. The pictures show the grade diagnostics fairly well. I shot them straight on the keep the luster as grading doesn't matter so much on color, but luster does.

I included small and large pictures. The large pictures are located below the small ones and may kill some dial-uppers. Hence, after the small ones load. The MS63-64 is because the guy I bought it from insists its an MS63 but I think it could slide either way.

Since all buffalo nickels come with varying degrees of softness in strike, I tried to keep to the dates that are generally better struck and around the same amount of general detail. I.E. Different issues, have different appearances regarding detail, luster, ect. I tried to use examples from a consistent set of issues regarding detail, luster, ect.

Before we get started with the grading set pictures. How about some analysis of the 1938 Overmintmark varieties. Here are close ups of the regular 'D', 'D over D' , and 'D over S' varieties. Pull out those 1938 D buffs and get to checkin if yours is just a little more special than the regular 'D' variety. image

Regular 'D'

'D' Over 'D'

'D' Over 'S'

Now here is the grading set.

Poor

good

very good

fine

very fine

extra fine

au50

au55

au58

ms60

ms63-64

ms65

Now, here are the large images that show the detail. image

Poor

Good

Very Good

Fine

Very Fine

Extra Fine

AU50

AU55

AU58

MS60

MS63-64

MS65

It was harder trying to get the luster and detail in the higher grades. If the pictures aren't completely accurate, I apologize. image

Edited to add I picked these up today for the sole purpose of building a grading set and not being sold. They do no belong to Pinnacle, these are mine personally and will most likely go to my oldest son to get him involved in collecting. They are posted for the overall expansion of knowledge on these forums. (Geez, did I cover everything. image)
Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! Your PO01 is only so due to damage (scratches, especially on the upper reverse, 11:00, below the lettering) but otherwise would have been a FA02/AG03.

Very well thought out and laid out.
    Bookmarked!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    excellent photography too!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks. I've always liked buffaloes. It was nice to see the grading progressin so clearly imaged. I appreciate the time you took to do this for everyone on the boards like me (who are just learning).image
    JRH
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Wow, Poorguy!!

Nice Photos!! (and grading set)

imageimage

• Options
    Neat set man. Not too many people are doing this and I think it's a pretty cool idea. Nice job.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    An excellent idea and great pix to back up the set

Thank you for your efforts
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Job Brandon!

I had thought about going down there but got caught up rearranging one of my Media Center PCs and hooking up to my 36" TV in the bedroom so I could have my 20" LCD back in my home/office now that I have completely moved houses.

Yes, I am still waiting for the barber dime set you are doing image

Seriously, that is a great undertaking you have started and it is very educational! Great photography as well. I take it the new photography pieces you got last week are doing well?

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I take it the new photography pieces you got last week are doing well?

I only have 1-12 plus a VF and XF.

Not worth much of a grading set with only those image

I couldn't find very many VF-AU barber dimes at the show. The only ones I found were keys and those typically aren't nice representative examples of the grade for the price shelled out. My next set will most likely be the finished barber dime set or a washington quarter set, maybe a nice morgan set or a merc dime set. We'll just have to wait and see. image
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a modern set as well image
    Jeffs and Lincolns image

I think that the first twelve barber dimes are fine but I do understand just wanting to do it all at once.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Jeffs and Lincolns

I'll save those for when I can get my son to dig through our pocketchange. image I need a challenge.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    THANK YOU!image
  • Options
    Excellent post Brandon! image
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post!

You also need to mention the strike problems with many dates, especially in the 20s. These coins can come with nice color and luster but only grade 63 or less due to strike. Example:

The obverse is easily a GEM but the reverse is mush. Grades NGC 63 "star"

jom
  • Options
    jom,

Excellent contribution.

Yes, the striking differences have a great impact on the grade. I tried to only include the moderate to good striking dates so that the detail wear is more obvious.
  • Options
    Well done.

The problem I have with this series is that there is often a very poor
    strike on MS coins. Sometimes its hard to tell if the flat areas are poor
    strike or very light wear.

Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Options
    Very interesting! Thanks image
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the lesson.image These coins will get more popular with the new nickels in 2006.
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    As a noob I appreciate ur taking the time to post these. Very Educational!image
    Just Learning!
    Thank You
    SilverDollar
  • Options
    awesome
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm glad you did the buffalo nickel. Mine (raw and the pride of my collection so far) stacks up pretty well. image
  • Options
    nice idea!
    Nick
  • Options
    Really nice photos and educational too! Thanks
    Gary
    We are always better off than we deserve. image
  • Options
    Thanks for reviving this thread. Excellent photos.
    Don
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very noble undertaking.......

Especially for beginners to see as a quick reference.

My complete Buff set including the 37-D 3-Leg (AU50) and 18-D 8 over 7 (PCGS G-6) has taken me all of 40 years to put together......and I'm always upgrading it!

Those 2 coins fit well into your grading parameters.

But watch out, New Collectors! Strike vs. wear in this series is, as has been said, a BIG factor in grading.

The subtle difference has driven collectors away from Buffs for years.

I love it as a challenge!

Nice work.

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very difficult to sell a low value buffalo as a G unless it has a full date.

Effectively this grade isn't used except on key dates because very few coins
    with this amount of wear will have a full date.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Very nice! And you seem to have an eye for proper grading- well done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file